• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Misrepresentation Claim?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misrepresentation Claim?

I have bought (cash, no mortgage) a property. I did not have a Survey done. After completion and now 3 weeks on and only after stripping walls have I found some serious cracks along with Damp which is pointing to a Subsidence issue. I believe that when this particular room was newly decorated then these issues would of been obvious I am trying to establish if I would have a claim for either Misrepresentation Negligence or Misreoresentation Innocence? There is no mention of this on the SPIF.
    Tags: None

Now you know why you should have had a survey. You were free to discover any potential problems but did not do so.

Comment

Most people will tell you Surveys are not worth the paper they are written on, most of the time. Surveyors do not lift carpets, move furniture or strip wallpaper. The issues with this property would not have been obvious to anyone, including a Surveyor

Comment

There is no mention of this on the SPIF
        There is a question around property changes which relates to alterations to the property such as extensions or internal modifications like knocking through a wall, but I don't think it covers general decorating unless the specific question has been put to them. If you saw the house and knew there had been some recent decoration, you could have instructed your solicitor to probe and ask further questions. Otherwise, based on what you've said I don't think you have any such claim.

Normally you would be covered by building insurance for subsidence if you didn't know about it, have you got that in place?

Agree with Ostell though, this is the very reason you get a survey done. If you are going to fork out a lot of money for a cash purchase then you should at least be able to pay another few hundred quid for a homebuyers report or a structural survey to determine what works may need to be carried out. It also serves as a negotiating tool to drive down the price if any major works are needed.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

You might just have a claim if you were categorically told (and can prove it) there were no damp or subsidence problems.
          These are not part of the Property Information Form.

If the cracks point to subsidence weren't they evident from outside the property?

Comment

Thank you. Firstly there were Building alterations made some 20+ years ago. There is no paperwork available regardless. Yes I do have Buildings Insurance but this is an existing problem so is not covered. With regard to the comments by Desb, You are correct to say that the Issue of Subsidence and Damp are not on the Spif and following this when I did some digging, I have read that if any issues arise which are not mentioned on the Spif and withheld by Vendors then this would amount to Misrepresentation. My point being is that they could not possibley deny knowing about it, as it is obvious.

Comment

Sorry if that was not clear; although there is no questions on the Spif, if the Vendors knew about it they should have disclosed it then we could have re-negotiated the price so perhaps Misrepresentation by innocence rather than Negligence. The only visible sign of anything outside is damage to Pebbledash which does not appear to go deeper.

Comment

The consumer protection against Unfair trading Regulations 2008 may come into play if you purchased the property through an estate agent.

However if it was purchased privately you will not have that protection.

You also state the problems weren't evident until you stripped the wallpaper, so presumably the estate agent would not have known of the problems if the vendors had not mentioned it.
                If purchased through an agency you may just have a claim for an innocent misleading omission

Comment

They knew there was a problem with Drainage to property as they put gravel to the front of the house, the previously dangling downpipe was put through the wall to drain which I found the day I collected the keys. There are no surface drains.
                  All the guttering had been replaced, so yes they were aware of a damp issue .

Comment

If you propose pursuing this matter you will have to consider having the property surveyed, and having a report confirming the vendor must have known of the problems

If your house insurance includes legal expenses cover you might be able to fund legal action through it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X