• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Housing Managment company will not put communnal heating on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing Managment company will not put communnal heating on

I live in a block of flats and pay a service charge to a management Company to look after the common areas eg cleaning and garden maintenance etc and I thought heating. There's a heater on the ground floor in the hall and after turning it on a few times it would not come on so I reported it to the management company thinking it was faulty only to be told no its not faulty the company had tuned the electricity off in an attempt to save money Apparently the management company before them had left a massive bill on their sinking fund and this company are having to cut costs wherever possible. I do not think this is fair. They said if they turned the heater on they would have to charge more service charge for are block. I was under the impression that because the heater was in a communal area I as paying for it anyway at least the option of using it, so I as surprised to hear that they had done this without even consulting the people who live in the block
    I have looked at my lease and it is clear about my landlord ( housing association) responsibility regarding repairs and maintenance re communal areas but isn't specific about this issue.
    Is there anything I can do ?

Hope someone can give me some advice please.

bambisoloved

Re: Housing Managment company will not put communnal heating on

Presumably your lease also provides what they include in the service charge.

They are probably right, tbh, if they put the heating on and the electricity bill goes up, they will recover the costs through the service charge - you should receive a budget for the service charge every year when you get the demand, have a look at that and see what the budget is for heating or for electricity for the communal areas.

Comment

Originally posted by bambisoloved View Post
      I live in a block of flats and pay a service charge to a management Company to look after the common areas eg cleaning and garden maintenance etc and I thought heating. There's a heater on the ground floor in the hall and after turning it on a few times it would not come on so I reported it to the management company thinking it was faulty only to be told no its not faulty the company had tuned the electricity off in an attempt to save money Apparently the management company before them had left a massive bill on their sinking fund and this company are having to cut costs wherever possible. I do not think this is fair. They said if they turned the heater on they would have to charge more service charge for are block. I was under the impression that because the heater was in a communal area I as paying for it anyway at least the option of using it, so I as surprised to hear that they had done this without even consulting the people who live in the block
      I have looked at my lease and it is clear about my landlord ( housing association) responsibility regarding repairs and maintenance re communal areas but isn't specific about this issue.
      Is there anything I can do ?

Hope someone can give me some advice please.

bambisoloved
      Firstly, you need to let us know what your lease states as regards the management company's / landlord's liability to you as to the heating. Perhaps the admin can advise on how is best to make available to us your lease (redacted, of course) and I can look through it. I've been looking at them all day so far!

Secondly, a sinking fund is for cyclical works, not communal heating! The two points have no bearing on one another and certainly shouldn't change how often the heating comes on.

Naturally, increased usage will result in increased costs.

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I will look again at me lease and breakdown re what service charge covers and give you more information.

I agree I dont know what the sinking fund has got to do with communal heating. It seems they want to cut running costs to off set the mess the previous Management company left them in.

Many thanks

bambisoloved

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X