• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Selling a house with possible (not confirmed) damp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling a house with possible (not confirmed) damp

Can a house still be put on the market for a sale if it has the possibility of damp issues?
    Tags: None

Re: Selling a house with possible (not confirmed) damp

Yes.

Why do you ask?

Comment

my partner rents out a Victorian terraced at the moment but he's thinking of selling it. The tenants have complained about damp and I've heard it can cost thousands of pounds to get a damp proof course done but he hasn't got this sort of money to spend so wants to get rid if he can. thanks

Comment

You might find this useful:

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/21315...formation-form

Comment

This is interesting, too:

http://www.practicalconveyancing.co....t/view/8716/0/

I get the impression that you're better off NOT doing the work and letting the prospective buyers draw their own conclusions.

As a personal observation, I have absolutely no faith at all in modern "damp proof coursing" and related modern methods for old buildings.

Comment

He had a builder look at it once and he didn't think it was that serious and said it was probably due to condensation. I would think most victorian terraced houses have some degree of damp but if we got and paid for a 'damp' expert in I'm sure they would say he needed a damp proof course and charge hundreds of pounds. I suppose the buyer's Surveyor Report would pick it up wouldn't it? Maybe a property developer who has an interest in renting it out might not be that put off?

Comment

Are you sure the problem is rising damp?
              Only asking because rising damp is rarer than people think.
              As it is a Victorian terrace house it is probably single brick and condensation may be the problem. The tenants may not be keeping it ventilated sufficiently.

Where did you hear it can cost thousands of pounds to install a damp proof course?
              This would have to be a full digging out and relaying solid floors, renewal of plaster a metre high etc etc
              For a mid terraced house I'd be surprised at that price for injecting a chemical damp proof course.
              In 2011 the Building Cost Information Service, which is part of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors estimated the costs include everything necessary to carry out the work of installing a silicone damp proof course in the outside walls (including labour, material and VAT for a mid terrace house) at £350
              I'd suggest investigating the cause first of all and then obtaining a couple or three proper quotes.

Crossed with your post, Carina

Comment

Thank you so much for your advice, it has put our minds at rest. I think I must have heard or read scare stories somewhere about it costing a fortune so thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X