• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Earth spike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth spike

Hi everyone

I'm hoping to get some clarification on the above.

My Mother had some electrical work done and it was identified that her property failed to have an earth supply.

The electrician said that she needed to have an earth spike fitted and advised her to get in touch with the National Grid. He warned her that they most likely would try and fob her off saying it's not their responsibility or trying to charge her for it.

A couple of other electricians have also said it is the responsibility of the NG.

Having contacted the NG - the said they have nothing to do with this - only explosions and gas leaks!

So has anyone got any ideas on how to move this forward?? or come across this situation themselves?

Thanks

Foxy
    Tags: None

Re: Earth spike

the you can usualy put earths to all the pipework, then try them into the main water in, as long as its not plastic.

Make sure nothings putting any charge in the earth lines, but putting a copper spike in to get a better earth is not to hard, and i think you do it yourself.
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

It is the responsibility of the consumer to ensure his electrical equipment is earthed.
      On new properties the distributor normally supplies PME (protective multiple earthing)
      Earthing via mains water pipes is no longer regarded as satisfactory
      http://professional-electrician.com/...l-installation
      http://www.rcoombs.co.uk/safety.htm

Comment

Come across this many years ago and when the meter was changed asked the installer to add a earth connector (I was rewiring the house at the time). The earth connection was taken back to the outer of the incoming mains supply. He scraped off the top covering and put a clamp around the cable armouring. That house originally had an earth spike (and cotton covered cabling!).

This house uses the same method, ie a clip round the incoming supply cable.

If you have an underground cable coming into the house then this looks like what is required. If you have an overhead supply then you will need an earth spike.

As previously said the water pipe is no longer a good earth because of the use of a plastic incoming mains.

Comment

That must be the earthed neutral then ?

Comment

Not being an electrician I haven't really bothered examining the installation, but noted there is a separate earth cable with the L & N.
            I have assumed it is TN-C-S with PME.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X