• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Item found after settled insurance claim.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Item found after settled insurance claim.

Hi,

I'm asking on behalf of my mother in law (not not in the best place mentally).

Approx 10yrs ago, perhaps a little longer, she claimed for the loss of a piece of jewellery on her home insurance policy.

Having recently been sorting through her stuff for a home move the item has turned up in the inner pocket of a handbag that nearly went off to the charity shop

It was worth £2000 so a substantial enough loss/claim.

Do I find out who her insurers were and inform them? Can I get it valued for insurance purposes today? Will she have to 'hand it back'?

Feel like a very naughty school child right now, or like a criminal handling stolen property, so would appreciate some advice.

Please feel free to move the post if there is a more appropriate place
    Tags: None

Re: Item found after settled insurance claim.

If it was a genuine mistake there's no need to feel like a criminal.

Do you still have the policy and do you have a copy of the claim?

Also you could try posting on the MSE insurance board http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...splay.php?f=21

Comment

i just feel like i have something that doesn't belong to us iykwim, because she has had a payout for its loss. Yes, it was genuine on her part but she can't remember who she was insured with and we haven't found any paperwork from the insurers either....will have a look on the mse site, thanks x

Comment

You made a genuine claim because was lost. You're now doing the right thing by making the effort to find out what the right thing to do is. You've done nothing wrong.

Comment

Sell it and donate the money to charity...if you have no paperwork and do not feel comfotable having something for nothing ,then surely thats a good option.

Comment

Technically the item mow belongs to the insurance company.
            If you are really uncomfortable with not being able to return the item you may be able to trace the insurers through the "Claims and Underwriting Exchange" . Most major insurers contribute to it and individuals may access it on payment of a small fee (£10?).
            WWW. insurancedatabases.co.uk

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X