• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

does my landlady have to put me up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does my landlady have to put me up?

hi

there is work to be done in my flat which means i cannot use my shower for a certain amount of time, could be up to 4 days in total. my landlady has asked me to use my neighbours (who i have never spoken to and plus he is in his 50's im in my 20's!) or to use the sink for both hair and body during this time. i have no friends or family as ive just moved to the area so i have no where else to shower and as you can appreciate, going without for 4 days is just wrong. i was under the impression that if i couldnt use my facilities then she had to put me up in a hotel/bnb whilst the work was being done...is this right?

thanks

sam
    Tags: None

Re: does my landlady have to put me up?

i'm no expert at all so will only speak from experience - had once a similar situation for 2 weeks, i resolved it by utilising friends, and negotiated a half of the rent being withheld, paid only 50% for that month since the flat was not suitable for use (there's a legal term for this I'm sure)

imo she cannot tell you that, and has to ensure she gives you SUITABLE options. just imo. it's only 4 days and she won't pay a hotel for sure...
    are you member of a gym? or plan to? just read again, you have no friends around.

now... over to the experts

Comment

Originally posted by QueenAnne View Post
      i'm no expert at all so will only speak from experience - had once a similar situation for 2 weeks, i resolved it by utilising friends, and negotiated a half of the rent being withheld, paid only 50% for that month since the flat was not suitable for use (there's a legal term for this I'm sure)

imo she cannot tell you that, and has to ensure she gives you SUITABLE options. just imo. it's only 4 days and she won't pay a hotel for sure...
      are you member of a gym? or plan to? just read again, you have no friends around.

now... over to the experts
      Is the term you are looking for "Detriment" by any chance? You are correct that a landlord must provide a suitable alternative until the demised facilities are restored. If not, the tenant would be entitled to negotiate a reduction of rent for the period during which the demised facilities were not available. A local CAB housing advisor should be able to confirm what the current rules are.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

what i am looking for is somewhere i can go for a shower!!! i have no friends or family around here so cannot have one for around 4 days....so reduction of rent is not going to the hygiene issue. i need to know if she will put me up in a bnm/hotel or something during this time.

Comment

Have u asked her?

Comment

Have you looked locally for public or private club baths?
            If you find one perhaps your landlady will reduce your rent to cover your costs.
            Here's a link to one website:http://www.victorianturkishbath.org/.../NowOpenSF.htm
            There must be more

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              Have you looked locally for public or private club baths?
              If you find one perhaps your landlady will reduce your rent to cover your costs.
              Here's a link to one website:http://www.victorianturkishbath.org/.../NowOpenSF.htm
              There must be more
              ooooooohhhhhhh:wub:

Comment

Smadge

When I was an art student in the bad bit of London there were some really wonderful public baths (New Cross area) - loads of hot water and really cheap. :bathbaby:

I don't know whether such facilities still exist but I hope they do - that and the laundrette....:washing:but without being silly, your landlord should compensate you for facilities for which you pay and are not provided

Comment

thanks for the advice but there is just none of those facilities in my area. all my landlady said was 'well have a think about it and let me know' but id already said i cannot not shower for that long. looks like im screwed and will have to smell

Comment

Have to have a "chemical wash" then..... straight out of the aerosol

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X