• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need advice on Tenants Rights when Landlord is selling property.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on Tenants Rights when Landlord is selling property.......

I am on a years fixed tenancy which comes to an end next month, my landlord has notified me that he is putting property on the market 2 weeks ago and have since had a couple viewings and 4 estate agents come round and take pics etc. Im not against the sale as we were already looking to move out as the landlord is pretty shocking. What my problem is is the following:
    I dont know where I stand with rights as to viewings?? So far I have agreed to every visit but there are a couple of estate agents whose attitude I dont like when it comes to viewings. I have stated afternoon viewings only as my husband works nights and they have basically said if i refuse a morning viewing my landlord will attend the property to let the viewing take place without my consent.
    In my tenancy agreement it says I have to allow viewings at "reasonable times" when notice under section 21 of housing act has been given - I understand section 21 is when he has given us the 2 months notice to move out which he HAS NOT GIVEN, is this correct??

• If notice under section 21 has not been given then I just want to know whether actually in fact if I wanted to I could say no to all viewings as Im not legally oblidged to let them take place yet??? (I wouldnt do this but would just like to know)
    • If "reasonable times" includes reasonable to my familys needs as morning viewings do not fit in with our lifes?
    • Whether my landlord has the authority to let people in the house without my consent?? I realise its the landlords property but its my personal property and belongings within it and I always believed visits had to be agreed by both parties
    • Once we are out of the fixed term tenancy and are on a month by month roll on tenancy then does the landlord still need to give us 2 months notice to move and we need to give one months notice if we wish to move??
    • Also on a seperate note, this landlord has been shocking and cant wait to move out to be honest! At the moment the gas safety check is 2 months overdue which is clearly a breach of contract by my landlord. Do I firmly remind him that although he wants to sell up myself and my family still live here and he is breaching our contract and potentially putting us at risk?? How can I remind him directly, politely and still try to maintain some sort of relationship as I will need him for a reference when we move?? (I have reminded him a couple times already)

Again just want to know where I stand as feel like im being treated unfairly by some agents and just want to know for sure what my rights are so I can put them in their place correctly!
    Thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: Need advice on Tenants Rights when Landlord is selling property.......

My understanding of the landlords rights is that they have the right of entry, by appointment, to inspect but only if you have repeatedly refused can they come in without an appointment. As you have not refused you can tell the troublesome estate agent where to go. Your contract is with the landlord, not the estate agent.

Comment

Re: Need advice on Tenants Rights when Landlord is selling property.......

I would suggest to the landlord that they accompany the agents or you will refuse entry and it will be at a time to suit you and at least 48 hrs notice ,Tel the agent to F off or be a little more polite

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X