• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour wants to climb on my extension roof to clean windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour wants to climb on my extension roof to clean windows

A very short explanation, our neighbours have made our life hell for the last 18 months, we have made a decision to completely ignore them.

They have now come to us to say they want to go up on my extension roof to clean their windows.

We live in a lower villa, they are above us, their windows obviously can't be cleaned from the inside.

We have refused them access but they have now said "tough" we will go up anyway.

Can we legally refuse them or do they have a right to access for simple maintenance tasks

THANKS
    Tags: None

Re: Neighbour wants to climb on my extension roof to clean windows

They may have a right of access? what are you gonna do if they go on the roof?

Comment

no idea, if they have access then not much I can do, if they don't then I need to find out what legal avenues there are

Comment

If you own the property the deeds should say if there is a right of access if its a rented property then the landlord might have a say in it all above all don't threaten anything without knowing your right,FWIW I would say you can clean the windows but you want to see an insurance policy of theirs that covers any damage to your property

Comment

Originally posted by hearts151 View Post
          our neighbours have made our life hell for the last 18 months, we have made a decision to completely ignore them.

They have now come to us to say they want to go up on my extension roof to clean their windows.

We live in a lower villa, they are above us, their windows obviously can't be cleaned from the inside.

We have refused them access but they have now said "tough" we will go up anyway.

Can we legally refuse them or do they have a right to access for simple maintenance
          Do you really want this silly turf war?

What's the problem with them cleaning their windows while standing on your roof extension? Will it collapse and cause you harm? Probably not.

I could give you loads of case law on legal rights of access (I note you're in Scotland so this will be different from general advice given by posters on this website) but I sense this is not the root cause of your animosity towards your neighbour.

Why don't you tell me what has really pissed you off and I'll see if I can defuse this situation

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
            What's the problem with them cleaning their windows while standing on your roof extension? Will it collapse and cause you harm? Probably not.
            But walking about on the roof might damage the waterproof membrane so badly that the roof starts to leak.

Will Mr McSnotty pay for the necessary repairs and redecoration?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
              They may have a right of access? what are you gonna do if they go on the roof?
              Take away the ladder and leave him to starve to death?

Comment

What about Occupiers liability?

If he injures himself while on your property then you could be liable. If the works he intends to undertake are on your property then make sure its safe and if not then he shouldnt be doing it.
                I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                  Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                  gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                  The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                    What about Occupiers liability?

If he injures himself while on your property then you could be liable. If the works he intends to undertake are on your property then make sure its safe and if not then he shouldnt be doing it.
                    If the neighbour takes the attitude, "Tough. I'm going up there anyway," if they have no rights of access, they would be doing so as a trespasser and, if they sustained injury as a result, it could be argued they acted recklessly and accepted the risk attached thereto, providing the OP has kept the extension roof in a good state of repair.
                    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                      If the neighbour takes the attitude, "Tough. I'm going up there anyway," if they have no rights of access, they would be doing so as a trespasser and, if they sustained injury as a result, it could be argued they acted recklessly and accepted the risk attached thereto, providing the OP has kept the extension roof in a good state of repair.
                      yeah it does of course depend on which OLA it falls under, if not a trespasser then it gets trickier
                      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

yeah it does of course depend on which OLA it falls under, if not a trespasser then it gets trickier
                        Valid point. Thank you.
                        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

What's an OLA? :confused2:

Comment

Occupiers Liability Act

Theres two,1957 and 1984

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                              I think you will find that the trespass law in Scotland is different to England and Wales.:beagle:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X