• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Private tenants can use human rights to prevent s21 eviction

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Private tenants can use human rights to prevent s21 eviction

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
    New arguments can be introduced on appeal, provided the underlying case supports it, if you look at Ian Karl Brandon v American Express the Court of Appeal did not take issue with such, but if you need to pull in new evidence that is where you may get caught out. The test for new evidence is in Ladd v Marshall and it is a tricky one to over come sometimes.
    Thankyou so much, pt. What great information.
    Hmmmm....the main problem was the landlord announcing at the hearing he wanted to sell, whereas when I found a buyer two months previously (who would keep me on), he was told it wasn't for sale.

I think this comes under "respect", as in human right for respect. I think I should have a clear picture from the landlord as to what he's doing when I've spent £3k building a home there.

Otherwise, there's no new evidence, so I don't think I have a problem?

As for PlanB's argument - rent paid in advance should be protected as a deposit: this is how it affected me: when I moved in, virtually nothing was working. But I was forced to stay, because I'd already paid my rent, as well as deposit, moving fees, and agency fees. Despite promises to do repairs before the tenancy, the landlord delayed excessively. He even changed my contract to a periodic tenancy after the first 6 months on the promise of repairs, which then weren't done for a further 3 months, and only then, when I withheld a month's rent. So you could say, each and every month I was paying an unprotected deposit, in a sense.

Finally, he refused tor epair in May last year and accused me of malicious damage. This second unreasonable threat to my home was enough to disillusion me completely. So, 2 years 1 month of giving him trust with my money, only to have the contract ruined by his behaviour.
    Last edited by christianpassy; 1st February 2013, 14:03:PM. Reason: additions, correction

Comment

Why thirteen days?

If you are going to appeal you will need the transcript of the hearing, it is often overlooked but the CPR allows for a party to apply to extend the time for filing the appellants notice until such time as they have the transcript, especially where the person was a Litigant in Person.

So this will buy you time for appealing also.
      Applying for more time to get the transcript
      I've just rung the court - they are sending a N244 and fee remission to be returned Monday 4th Feb. If they don't get here on time, I'll print them off the internet.
      Last edited by christianpassy; 1st February 2013, 12:17:PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Im sorry to say, if there is no transcript then no court will entertain an appeal unless there is an adequate note of the judgment.

There was a small amount of funding available i seem to recall however for things like this where a party is in hardship

Maybe the transcribers , we use Wordwave or Possib for our cases, they may be able to advise where the funding can be sought
        Hardship funding for transcript
        I'm e-mailing every transcriber on the list now to ask if they know where the funding can be sought.
        Last edited by christianpassy; 1st February 2013, 12:16:PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Money claim
          I've written to the landlord by registered mail today that I will be making a money claim within 14 days if they don't resolve my complaint. I've nothing to lose now since there's already a possession order, which expired 9th January 2013.

Does anyone have any clue about making money claims?
          I do now have an impressive diary of wasted time, all 30 complaint e-mails ignored by agent printed off, and impressive disrepair schedules (during tenancy, and still outstanding) - but will the court believe it?
          Last edited by christianpassy; 1st February 2013, 12:18:PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by christianpassy View Post
            Hardship funding for transcript
            I'm e-mailing every transcriber on the list now to ask if they know where the funding can be sought.
            A transcriber has sent me the court form for this, and it's printed.
            Part 52 Civil Procedure Rules; Paragraph 5.17 of the Practice Direction applies.

UPDATE: Filled in, will be taken to court on Monday.
            My debts printed out on accompanying sheet £9105.
            'Rent arrears' currrently £753. Rent £550 per month.
            Cost of my building my home in property: £3000 and 100 hours work approx.
            I am launching an online clairvoyant agency in the next two weeks.
            Last edited by christianpassy; 1st February 2013, 13:55:PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Dont forget to make an application within the appellants notice for a stay on the lower courts order while you are appealling, its often overlooked but very important to stop enforcement of the court order
              ^^^^ have you done what PT suggested and made an application for a stay on the current court order to frustrate any application for an Eviction Warrant by your Landlord while you're getting your act together over the appeal

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                ^^^^ have you done what PT suggested and made an application for a stay on the current court order to frustrate any application for an Eviction Warrant by your Landlord while you're getting your act together over the appeal
                HA HA! - thanks, PlanB! Very good of you
                That'll be done Monday. N244 regarding transcript and warrant? Taken by bus to court house?

I'm going to see a room to rent tonight, I've nearly had enough.
                Very nice man named Phil. £87 per week - I can sit there and build my online agency at home.
                Wake me up when it's over zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

UPDATE: the rented room was not my thing, gonna keep moving forward...............
                Last edited by christianpassy; 2nd February 2013, 12:17:PM. Reason: adding smileys

Comment

Error
                  Last edited by christianpassy; 5th February 2013, 23:42:PM. Reason: change

Comment

Asking court for more time to find a buyer for the property
                    I'm submitting a N244 tommorrow asking court to stay possession order/warrant.
                    I'm pointing out that landlord is selling property and I would like to find another landlord buyer.
                    I enclosed a letter I sent to landlord telling him this.
                    Also asking for transcript of last hearing if necessary.
                    If transcript went ahead, I would appeal via N161 but don't want to do more than I have to.

Comment

Originally posted by christianpassy View Post
                      Asking court for more time to find a buyer for the property
                      I'm submitting a N244 tommorrow asking court to stay possession order/warrant.
                      I'm pointing out that landlord is selling property and I would like to find another landlord buyer.
                      I enclosed a letter I sent to landlord telling him this.
                      I don't see how that would work? The court has granted your Landlord possession of his property which means you have no lawful right to remain living there. Why would a court interfere with the the Landlord's right to do whatever he wants to do next? He can sell it to whomever he wants. He can not sell it whomever he wants. He can live in it, demolish it, fill it full of cats or leave it empty and that's entirely his choice. Surely it's none of the court's business, and I would think they would see it as none of your business either.

The court may consider a stay of the eviction if you were to demonstrate a good enough reason. But it wouldn't be an indefinite stay, it would be to a defined future date - probably not too far away. I believe you would make that application on receipt of the Eviction Warrant which is different from an application to the court to stay the current possession order because you have an appeal filed as PT has said, but you need to check that out with a lawyer.

Why did you change your mind about renting a new place, because you seemed so sure about that at the weekend Would it make sense to focus your energy on exhausting your legal options to stay where you currently live safe in the knowledge that you can always rent somewhere else if it doesn't go according to plan. Always good to have a Plan B

Comment

I agree with PlanB,,it's probably best to concentrate on getting a new place to live rather fighting what will be ,in the end,a losing battle. You cannot dictate to someone what they do with their own property,it's really is none of your business and surely the LL/T relationship has now completely broken down.He wants his property back and legally he is entitled to it,you have no right to assume you have any say in that. I'm sorry if I sound harsh but thats the facts.
                        I wish you luck in finding a new (hopefully better) home

Comment

I admire the OPs determination in this matter but have a feeling he is clutching at straws he quotes the Human Rights act the try to get a court to tell the the landlord what to do with HIS property. I always try to look at these cases from both sides so far we have no real proof of what the landlord thinks about it all .IMHO its time to move on sometimes as right as we think we are others take a different view

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                            quotes the Human Rights act the try to get a court to tell the the landlord what to do with HIS property
                            That's a very good point. The Landlord could claim that it's his Human Right to sell his property to Mickey Mouse if he so wishes. But the big issue here is that the OP has rent arrears so the Landlord also had the right to take possession under section 8 even if the section 21 argument failed due to a legal twist. Most tenancy agreements don't give the tenant right to withhold rent for any reason although disrepair will be considered by the court but only until the repairs are carried out.
                            This is the moment when Plan B has to confess to being a Landlord :behindsofa:

Comment

You nasty person Plan b LOL not really without you and others the OP would be homeless

Comment

Landlords are just like tenants - you get good ones and you get bad ones :grin:

It's all about managing expectations, keeping a good line of communication open, and a degree in psychology would help. Oh and always having a screwdriver in your pocket in case of emergency :wink:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X