• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Paying off mortgage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying off mortgage

Due to circumstances we are in a position to pay off our mortgage. The process seems fairly straightforward however once it is complete it feels like we are missing something tangible to say we own the house. I know it's electronic with the land registry but is that the only 'proof' you own it?
    Tags: None

You've owned the house all along - the building society never owned it! They just had a charge registered on it as security for their loan.
    ​​​​​
    So yes, what's registered at the Land Registry is your only proof of ownership.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Yes. The Land Registry title is your proof of ownership.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Just haveing the same,problem had arguments with the building society, stating it is there brief to forward the DEEDS, but as you are experiencing, Land Registry.

Comment

The historical deeds documents, although no longer needed to prove ownership, are still your legal property and should be returned to you

They have historical and cultural value and the B/S are not entitled to just bin them.

But sadly many banks and B/S high- handedly just decided that once the title was registered the original deeds were worthless and binned them, even though they weren't theirs to bin.

All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

I may be wrong. I am testing my memory
            When I finished paying the mortgage, the building society offered me the deeds (they had been storing them)
            I accepted the deeds and when I sold the property the conveyancing solicitor asked for them

I believe they should be kept safely

The original deeds contain a lot more than what's on the land registry and for an old property can be interesting reading

Comment

For many properties, "deeds" are now a thing of the past. If you are buying a property with a registered title, as most are now, there will not be a set of deeds of the kind I used to see when I started out in the early 1980s.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X