• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Food Waste Left Out on Private Land

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Waste Left Out on Private Land

Looking for advice as to whether my local authority can take action: My new next door neighbours are private tenants who have started leaving meat bones out in their back garden to feed local cats. The cats or foxes are spreading the bones out into the shared access passage which is kept clear by my family members since no one else bothers. We live in a built up area where rat infestations are common and we fear the bones will attract rats. The tenants are usually intoxicated and we haven't had a reasoned response from the letting agents over other ASB the tenants are committing. Have the local authority any powers to ask the tenants to stop leaving meat bones out in their garden? Do we have to wait until rats make a regular appearance during the day?
    Tags: None

Hi Tungstented

Welcome to LB

Gather evidence, keep a diary, two weeks / one month, then contact your local Environmental Health Department. They should take action. Evidence is key.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi Tungstented

Welcome to LB

Gather evidence, keep a diary, two weeks / one month, then contact your local Environmental Health Department. They should take action. Evidence is key.
      Thank you Echat. Do you know if a local authority has the authority to intervene, for example sending a letter requesting someone to not leave waste food out? Evidence is not a problem. We are ignorant of the law(s) which a LA may apply and that is why we are asking. The problem is that our LA denies they cannot do anything to assist unless we can see rats running over the land. Obviously, we would rather not wait for that to happen.

Comment

Are you sure you haven't seen at least one rat? It might not have been a rat - you're not a rat expert - but it looked like one didn't it?
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by TungstenTed View Post

Thank you Echat. Do you know if a local authority has the authority to intervene, for example sending a letter requesting someone to not leave waste food out? Evidence is not a problem. We are ignorant of the law(s) which a LA may apply and that is why we are asking. The problem is that our LA denies they cannot do anything to assist unless we can see rats running over the land. Obviously, we would rather not wait for that to happen.
          If you have evidence they should act, no doubt there is a smell that emanates from the 'bones' if left out, especially in hot weather.

At random - Hart Council

https://www.hart.gov.uk/environment/...ours-and-fumes

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X