• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My freholder doesnt recognise the lease'existence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My freholder doesnt recognise the lease'existence

A few years ago my freeholder stopped billing and now says he doesn't recognize the existence of the Lease. I
    I can look after the flat myself, but where does that leave me legally?
    Tags: None

We need more information than this. The lease either exists or it doesn't, the freeholder can't just say they don't recognise its existence. We can't advise anything useful just on that.

What's the backstory please.

Is this about a short term tenancy or do you own the the property as leaseholder? If the latter are you the legal owner registered at the Land Registry? The freeholder doesn't have the option of not recognising it if you are the registered owner of the leasehoild. It's your legal title.
    Last edited by PallasAthena; 29th April 2024, 18:53:PM.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

I assume that the lease is valid and unexpired.

I would be very worried if your freeholder is not insuring the building and performing other freeholder's covenants in the lease.

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The fact the he's my freeholder means to me that its a long term Leasehold 99 years.
        You say can''t, but he just did.

Comment

How about telling us the whole story. Then maybe someone can help you.
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

He and I had a normal sort of disagreement because he kept letting me down. Thing s like leaks flooding the place and not fixed. Then I aid no more fees until Ive recovered the cost of all that damage ( insurance not paid)
            Then he said I dont recognise existence of the lease and sent no bills for 3 years, did no maintenance etc.
            Now he's trying to send bills again yet no service, still owes me for insurance claim etc. I suspect he's been advised that he cant do that. any longer he wants to just pretend it never happened..

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X