• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Medical diagnosis leading to benefits, so wanted name removed from properties...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical diagnosis leading to benefits, so wanted name removed from properties...

Hello, my dad put my name on three properties he owns so I will have something later in life, but shortly after that and during the pandemic I had a rare brain disease diagnosis, cannot work, and now get medical + benefits. I have transferred two of the properties to my brothers name (which was on there with my own name) but a solicitor refused to sign my ID1 to transfer the final one, because they say I will owe Capital Gains tax and that they are looking out for me. But I cannot keep my name on there due to drawing benefits & don't know what to do. My brain fuzz and the minimal questions asked during Covid benefit analysis means that I had no idea that I was doing wrong, and now my family will be angry at me for no good reason as this solicitor has suggested that I should force a sale to pay the CGT (rather than signing over the property). There will be benefit ramifications, that has to happen and I understand, but I received no rent being paid by the tenants of this property and paid nothing in, ever. I'm at a loss...and in a bad place. Will I get to keep any benefits? I have been advised by this solicitor to make the first move here as far as tax etc is concerned. I have been informed of how to calculate the capital gains amount due (which yes, will exceed £6000) - these properties are in the Midlands, not London. Can anyone advise please? All these matters are now much harder than ever before, and I don't want to hurt my parents who are elderly.
    Tags: None

Hi BARKINI69

Welcome to LB

Seek a solicitor who specializes in estate planning, i.e. trusts etc.

Because you have a condition, i.e. disability etc, there might be Trust options open to you.

I don't know, only a suggestion., do your research.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X