• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Deposit Lost: Agency Bankrupt, Landlord Unhelpful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deposit Lost: Agency Bankrupt, Landlord Unhelpful

Hello everyone,

I need urgent advice about my tenancy deposit situation here in England. Last October, I moved into a new rental property through a letting agency and paid a deposit, which was supposed to be transferred to a government-approved scheme for safekeeping. However, I never received confirmation of this deposit being secured. In December, the landlord informed me that the agency hadn't been paying him rent or bills for months, leading him to take over. He proposed issuing a new contract to replace the old one.

When I contacted the deposit scheme, I found out my deposit wasn't there, which made me suspect the agency might have taken off with the money. In February, the landlord gave me a new contract and said I had to sign it to replace the old one, so I could get my deposit back. Then, I could transfer it back to him, and he could properly transfer it to the Scheme under his name. He said he was talking to the deposit scheme and they were waiting for me to get in touch to sort things out through their insurance.

I talked to my landlord to confirm if he was sure about it, as my deposit was missing and my previous attempts to contact them were unsuccessful. However, he insisted that I had to claim it this way. So I signed the new contract and emailed the Scheme explaining the whole situation attaching evidence of my deposit payment to the agency. But they got back to me today and confirmed my deposit wasn't in their records and they cannot offer any further help.

I have just informed my landlord, and now he mentioned that he would give me a call tomorrow. I suspect he's waiting to seek legal advice and might not want to deal with my deposit issue directly.
    Now, I'm unsure about what to do next to claim my deposit. It seems reasonable to me that since I paid the agency and the money belongs to the landlord, he should shoulder the loss and support me, especially considering the agency's failure to pay rent and bills.

Should the landlord take responsibility for the missing deposit, or should I pursue the -now defunct- letting agency, whose director is missing overseas? Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

The landlord is entirely responsible. It is for him to get the money from the agency but he must return your deposit. As I understand it you are entitled to claim 3 x the deposit from the landlord for non protection

Comment

Agreed.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you for your answer. The landlord has repeatedly insisted that I should directly contact the Scheme to retrieve the deposit. However, in my situation where the agency did not deposit the money, this approach seems illogical, doesn't it?

Comment

It does.

Your landlord appointed the agent. You paid him as agent for your landlord; it is as if you paid the landlord.

You may claim compensation for not protecting your deposit under s 214 Housing Act 2004. See s214(4). https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...rt/6/chapter/4
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Make sure if you speak to him you tell him you know all the above - it may concentrate his thinking as he is potentially liable to pay you 3 x whatever your deposit was

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X