• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenancy Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenancy Issue

Good Morning,

I was wondering whether somebody may be able to help me with my current situation?

Essentially, I’m a rental tenant. Our first year ended last November and when the time came to renew, the landlords agent said the rent would increase by £100.

I wasn’t comfortable with the increase and after a few emails, the agent said the landlord would agree to an increase of £75. We eventually signed the new tenancy in January this year.

We have now received a S30 Letter advising the rent will go up an additional £100 (in the same month we signed the tenancy)

original rent was £675
    rent agreed for this year was £750
    new rent demanded is £850

Im really opposed to this and would not have signed the tenancy if I knew the rent was going to increase this much.

The new tenancy is an assured shorthold tenancy agreement and essentially ties us in for 12 months.

Surely something isn’t right here? I’m seems incredibly unfair?

Tags: None

https://england.shelter.org.uk/profe...ssured_tenants

These are the rules. Rent can only be increased once a year and must be done in the appropriate way. Have a read of the above and come back with any questions.

Comment

Hi islandgirl

Thanks for taking the time out to reply.

I’ve had a read and don’t have any questions at this time (I’ll post again if that changes!)

Inbetween my last post and now, the agent got back to me and said they are going to have a look into it. My guess (and hope) is that they have made a mistake somewhere (I.e the notice is for other apartments and not mine) - that’s quite likely as they seem to make an error with everything.

Thanks again.

Comment

Any problems and you can use the info to tell them that they cannot make a further increase until next year. Good luck and come back if you have any further problems

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X