• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

cat killed by escaped dog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just read your transcript, and like Atticus I do not see how it helps your claim.
    One party insists the dog caused the cats demise, the other party asks for proof it was their dog and suggests in any case a third party may have let the dog out.

Your probably right. But, let’s say a delivery driver opens a gate (looking for somewhere to leave a parcel, but not a prior suggested to him to open gate) and a dog escapes and causes a car accident. Does the liability then rest fully with the delivery driver or does some rest with the dog owner for not having any warning notices and a gate that could be opened by anyone from the outside? Seems a bit harsh if it all falls on the driver?

Good luck anyway if you continue with your action.

Thanks. May as well do a LBC and see what comes back

Not without sympathy for you but:
    My wife (as a past breeder of cats) wonders why people allow their feline friends to wander and risk the hazards of roads, kidnap and dogs.

He'd been an outdoor cat for 10 years before he acquired us, didn't seem right to the lock him up

As dog owners we wonder about the responsibility of people who allow their dogs to be in situations where third parties can easily (inadvertently) allow the dog to escape or be stolen. (and I speak as someone who had a dog stolen [the white one in my avatar] from a locked enclosure with an 8' fence)

Sorry to hear that. One of my neighbours with dogs has removed his back gate entirely and removes a fence panel if he needs access, seems a little extreme to me but perhaps not given your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jimzzr View Post
      [I

Your probably right. But, let’s say a delivery driver opens a gate (looking for somewhere to leave a parcel, but not a prior suggested to him to open gate) and a dog escapes and causes a car accident. Does the liability then rest fully with the delivery driver or does some rest with the dog owner for not having any warning notices and a gate that could be opened by anyone from the outside? Seems a bit harsh if it all falls on the driver?
      it will all depend on circumstances and motives.
      perhaps no one liable ... just an accident.

in the case of livestock the owner has a strict liability

Comment

In the circumstances described it could be neither.

Remind me, why was the cat that is in your wife's name roaming the streets? Did a delivery driver let it out?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Sorry to hear about your cat that was "on your neighbours' garden". Have you thought about keeping your animals indoors?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X