• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

H/a accept or not issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H/a accept or not issue

Hi its a bit of a long issue to discuss, but a friend has been offered a ground floor H/A flat in a small community, he is aged 60, physically well and mentally but has the beginnings of emphysema. He is not happy with the property which is warden, careline etc controlled in a small culdesac in a village 10 miles from a town out in the countryside with a small village shop and a pub, he will not know anyone, and does not drink alchohol so he will not even be able to go out to mix locally, the rent is around £480 a month, but there are service charges amounting to nearly another £200 a month, and he said even if the rent is paid by universal credit, he does not know if these service charges can be paid through universal credit, or would they come out of his own money from universal credit.?
    He said he does not want to live in a ground floor flat with communal grounds and pay for all the extra service charges as he is not disabled physically ie limbs, so moving to a place like this is not where he feels he should go or be happy to move to.
    He also says that as he has been given notice from his property he is in, he has been offered this and though accepts he has been lucky to be offered a H/A flat so quickly, its not where he wants to be in the deep countryside or in a care/communal warden controlled flat, and has only just turned 60 and feels like the place would benefit more disabled persons of an older age.
    He does not know if he rejects this property that he could be told he will not be offered anything else in a preferable area and not a warden controlled property again. He would prefer a bungalow, even though over 55 years old people are in the catagory of being placed in retirement properties he said he would be content with that, and have his own garden and no service charges.
    Would he be able to ask for this option without losing the opportunity of being allocated a property if he turns down the flat?
    Worse scenario is having to accept the flat with service charges of nearly £200 he would have to pay, and if so, can he have these charges paid for by universal credit or some other benefit.? Any help would be appreciated thank you.
    Tags: None

Can't answer the question about rejection, but service charges are part of eligible rent for HB
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/el...mmunal%20areas.

One doesn't have to drink alcohol in a pub ,,,,,, although fond of my beer and whisky I'm often seen drinking coffee in a pub (when having to drive)

Comment

It depends on the council rules. I believe if you refuse a property you may lose priority but I have no idea what the rules are. My advice is to contact you local councillor for help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X