• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Easement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Easement

Hi,

I have an easement to park on private land that is shared by a number of other houses that I believe have similar easements.

​​​​​​A resident from another development, who I don't believe does have an easement is parking on the same land which is making it difficult to use my space, as there isn't enough room for all of the vehicles wanting to use the area.

Can anyone advise on the best way to challenge this? We've been told the people concerned can be aggressive, so having a calm and reasonable conversation feels out of the question, although I know that once this gets out in paper it has to be declared when we sell our house in the future.

I'm aware that there is the option to seek an injunction, but I'm concerned how much the costs in doing so could escalate.

If anyone has any experience of similar it would be great to hear what you did (or didn't) do.

​​​​​​​Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

is what you have really an easement, and not a lease or licence?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Yes, as I understand it. The easement is on the deeds to my house under a schedule of "rights with the benefits of which the property is transferred".

If easement isn't the right term, it certainly isn't a lease or licencing agreement.

Comment

Or at least I think it isn't a lease etc

Comment

As described, it does indeed appear to be an easement.

Some quick research online suggests that wrongful interference with an easement is actionable as a private nuisance. As you say, an injunction is possible; indeed that would seem to be your only route to a resolution by legal action.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you for your reply. If anyone else reading has any thoughts or experiences that they are willing to share I'd be grateful to hear them.

Cheers.
            ​​

Comment

Originally posted by karonbaron View Post
              Thank you for your reply. If anyone else reading has any thoughts or experiences that they are willing to share I'd be grateful to hear them.

Cheers.
              ​​
              As a novel suggestion offer the parking area to one of the companies which will patrol the site and attach charge invoices to unauthorised users. Of course a prominent notice will be needed. When the prime abuser fails to reform the company can take him to court!

Comment

As Atticus say's, beside negotiating with the person ( seems unlikely from your comments) an injunction is really your only legal route, MikeZoeClem's idea is really novel. Firstly you have to find a parking company that are not going to make life difficult for the residents, several residents have posted on this site, where they have not renewed residents permits and then ticketed them. So once again go for an injunction.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X