• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New system has me in rent arrears even though I'm 4 weeks in front.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New system has me in rent arrears even though I'm 4 weeks in front.

The agent managing the property where I live moved to a new online system for collecting rent. Right away the system had me in arrears. The reason im in arrears is because the agent started my account at zero balance rather than 4 weeks in credit. I raised this with them almost 2 months ago and they said its a new system with teething problems and any issues will be sorted out soon. I checked today and im still showing as in arrears. From my perspective, all they have to do is change my opening balance to show 4 weeks in credit, but they seem incapable or unwilling to doing this. Is it just a waiting game for them to deal with it or do I have any options to speed things up? Thanks
    Tags: None

As long as you have proof of payment I would not worry. Everyone is probably in the same boat and it is taking a while to sort.

Comment

My rent has finally been adjusted so I am no longer in arrears on the system. The only problem now is they reset the starting balance to zero when the starting balance should have been 4 weeks in credit.

I have messaged them again and await there reply.

Small steps!

Comment

That is good news! Well done. Keep your eye on the credit and keep at them until that is also sorted.

Comment

After several months of messaging them I have had no replies regarding the rent balance being 4 weeks in credit. They have responded to emails for other issues, just not the rent issue. What can I do about this?

Comment

So you are paying in advance 4 weeks at a time? Keep all the evidence just in case. I would write formally by post (certificate of postage from the post office free of charge) and ask them to sort it out with full details of when payments were made etc. and what has happened so far. Give them a deadline to sort (say 4 weeks from date of letter). Hopefully that will get them moving!

Comment

Send a copy of your letter to your landlord, asking him to help sort out his agents' incompetence.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Good advice. If you don't have the LLs details request them in the letter - the agent has to give them to you by law

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                  So you are paying in advance 4 weeks at a time?
                  No. I pay 1 week in advance to the new landlord. The 4 weeks in advance is with the old landlord. The first payment was 4 weeks rent in advance plus the current weeks rent. So my account was always 4 weeks in credit. When new landlord took over the agency didn't add the 4 weeks credit to my account, they put the account to zero credit.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X