• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unsure if neighbours have right of access to my garden

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsure if neighbours have right of access to my garden

We have an alleyway to the side of the house which is shared by 4 houses, our house is on the one side and 1 set of neighbours go through our garden to access the alley to take out the bins. In our deeds, it does not mention that they have any through access to the garden and our solicitor said it seemed like it was a verbal agreement when we bought the house. I have bought their deeds and it says that they are able to use a footpath through our garden. Usually I would be fine with this, but we have had to call the police regarding dv from within the house and are not comfortable with the neighbour having access. Any idea on if we can lock our gate and only open for bin days or is it being in their deeds enough for that to be a legal issue? Not sure if it would make any difference but they are tenants and we do not have a contact for their landlord.
    Tags: None

You say that your neighbour's "deeds" (presumably Land Registry title record) shows a right of way over the footpath through your garden. So yes, the fact that the right is stated in the neighbour's title is sufficient for it to be a "legal issue". Any attempt to restrict that may lead to action being taken to enforce the right and prevent it being restricted.

Your neighbour's right of way over your land may well be an "overriding interest" to which your property is subject even if this is not shown on your title.

Any action would have to be taken by the owner of the property. Of course his tenants may report difficulties to him.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If your deeds say your neighbors can use the footpath through your garden, it might be legally binding. But, hey, I'm not a legal expert, so you might wanna check with one to be sure. As for the safety concerns, have you thought about getting security cameras or talking to the authorities about the domestic violence issue? And about the gate, maybe you can have a chat with your neighbors to find a compromise that works for both of you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X