• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hosing Me With Water - Is This a Crime?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosing Me With Water - Is This a Crime?

Is this a crime? A neighbour who has been in a 12 years bullying and harassment campaign against me hosed me with water as I walked on the pavement past their property. My back was visibly soaked.
    Tags: None

If you could prove it was deliberate I imagine it might technically be assault but at such a low level that I doubt you could get the police interested in as a one-off event. And if it was the first time the neighbour had sprayed you you'd find it very difficult to prove it was deliberate. The neighbour would just tell police 'it was an accident, I was watering my garden/washing my car/etc at the time'.

You say this was part of a 12 year campaign of harassment against you so the water spraying as part of that campaign of harassment might be more serious. A campaign of harassment is a crime.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

You need at least 2 events for harassment. If you have a diary of events you can go and try to get the Police interested. I would not say that the hose incident would be a crime (unless part of an evidenced ongoing campaign and even then...)

Comment

It's a bit like the large pools of water on the road heavy rain (because it's uneven), you wait to cross the road and a car passes by and you get splashed, most of the time there is no intention to do harm.

As Island girl suggests, keep a diary, once you have enough evidence, first port of call, go to the local council.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

At the point in time I was hosed, I was collecting evidence for a prolonged 3 and a half year harassment campaign by the neighbour of hosing water down to our property. This is part of his 12 year campaign. (The police are aware I am collecting that evidence and they know I am doing so lawfully.)

I do not want to get into too much detail, but lets just say the neighbour and their landlord have connections to the council and the latter have allowed (and even assisted) in that harassment for 12 years. So, going to the council is a waste of time.

As suggested above, we have been keeping a diary and we are collecting evidence against the neighbours, their landlord ***and*** the council.

So if this information changes any answers, please let me know.

Comment

Only that if the Police are aware you should now be asking if they have enough evidence to refer to the CPS for a charging decision. You could get a harassment charge in court and ask for a restraining order of some form

Comment

The police are not aware of him hosing me, but they are aware we are collecting evidence of the water flow to our property.

He has been taken to court before and found guilty of criminal damage against us several years ago, but the council were allowed to make an unchallenged submission which mitigated his sentence. The council and the LGO are fully aware we can prove his partner committed perjury in court and that was probably assisted by his social worker. He spent his entire conditional discharge engaging in further harassment against me which the council allowed. It started again just 3 days after he was found guilty and all through his conditional discharge.

Comment

I would forget the hosing to be honest. The key is harassment to you personally - verbal attacks, further criminal damage. That is what you need to document. The perjury and council involvment are really a side issue. The council did not allow the harassment. If he harassed you during his CD he should have been rearrested and brought back to court.

Comment

Have you considered installing a CCTV camera to collect evidence

Comment

I've had recent dealings with the LGO, as the Council were 'silent', on the complaint.

I found the LGO very understanding, they chased the Council after I showed that they were 'silent' on the matter.

Still a bit ways to go, but can't fault them. They have a online portal to lodge complaints, you can keep updating your complaint online.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X