• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord refuses to communicate with tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord refuses to communicate with tenant

Hello all. I will be going to citizens advice regarding this issue but it's been on my mind all weekend and I really just want someone to talk to about it asap. I will try and keep it brief...if I've missed any info just ask.

I started a private tenancy two weeks ago. I paid 6 months rent up front and one month deposit which is being held with a deposit organisation.

A week after being at the property at 3am in the morning the landlords guests gained access to the property twice. Although I had a lock to my front and back door there was a door connecting the property to the landlords. I had been told there was a padlock on his side. I've been told the landlord was asleep and his guests were just looking for a bathroom.

I didn't get an apology from the landord at all. 6 days later he mentioned he was just about to screw the door shut. I don't feel enough was done to make me feel safe there and the morning after the incidents I started looking for another place.

I have now relocated but I'm being told by a third party that the landlord will not be dealing with me at all going forward and any messages or calls to him will be ignored. I am only to deal with this third party. She is mentioned on the tenancy agreement as a witness as she was there at sign up but that is all. There is no mention of a third party. The agreement is between me and the landlord. The reason I am given is that the landord has mental health issues which I have never been made aware of.

I haven't given formal notice yet. I still have my key. What do I do next? If i cannot reach the landlord how do I get my rent and deposit back? Has the landlord breached the tenancy by refusing to communicate with me? Can a landlord with mental health issues be a landlord if it stops them dealing with tenants issues?

Sorry, I know I said I'd keep it brief! This is for a property in Scotland if it makes any difference ...
    Tags: None

I should probably explain why I don't want to deal with this third party. I had been messaging her about my concerns and she didn't seem to think people coming into my property without permission was a big deal as long as they were just looking for a bathroom. She has also started saying I have been hostile, bickering and making unpleasant victriol. I have done none of these things, I have the whole WhatsApp chat saved.

The reason I've been messaging her was that she was the one that listed the property. She was at the sign up as a witness and she is a friend of the landlord. I thought she was helping out as she maybe had experience in lettings. When I decided enough was enough i messaged her to let her know it wasn't working out.

After vacating the property i felt she wasn't taking the intrusion seriously and decided I just wanted to deal with landlord going forward. This is when I'm told he has mental issues for the first time and that he will be ignoring me and that she is the only point of contact

Comment

Hi, Are you in a HIMO ( house in multiple occupation ) . If so, theirs probably not much you can do, try asking for 3 month rent back, or just move back in and use up the tenancy and move in a few months ..

The landlord has to provide you with a address that they can be contacted at, that usually in the contract, and in a himo, somewhere in the house. They can nominate anyone to respond for them If

If its not a himo, and its a normal tenancy, then your LL has probably breached the terms ( security of property ) , Give notice in writing saying the property is not secure, Make the letter a formal letter before claim ( what you need to do before court claims ) for the unused rent and deposit
      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

If you are not in an HMO and have an AST you remain liable for the rent. You are unlikely to get anything back and the LL can require you to pay up until the point the property is relet. You cannot just leave unfortunately. The simple answer would have been to get permission to fit a lock on your side (or do it anyway and make good when you leave).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X