• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour being a nuisance/harassing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour being a nuisance/harassing

Please is anyone able to advise as i feel let down and getting nowhere with the authorities.

Neighbour has fallen out with us as we begun to do major renovations to our property. They have security camera's sitting inside their window which is in a bay window closest to the boundary line aimed at my property and in my opinion it's not there for security purposes. I have asked them to adjust it so it doesn't capture my property ( and understand capturing some would be ok) but they have blankly refused. They have messaged me in the past saying they know when anyone is entering and leaving my house. The camera's field of vision may also be looking inside of my property.

Rough sketch of how camera is placed.
    https://i.imgur.com/kXqKYlo.png

On numerous occasions I have been outside having friendly chats with other Neighbours and the problematic Neighbour have approached me with some form of weapons in their hand and made threats.

I kept thinking this would blow over but it was always one incident after another and kept a log of all incidents, I contacted the Council for further guidance but they advised to report to the Police.

I've reported to the ICO but they want me to write to my neighbor before they would get involved but even then they dont have any powers to do anything. I've mentioned threats of violence they've made in the past and dont want to exasperate the situation but told they will only write to them once I have written to them and they've not responded after 30 days.

I finally reported this to the Police and their response was "What do you want us to do" and asked if i have identified the legislation regarding domestic cameras. I have done loads of research but most if not all related to CCTV which captures part of Neighbours property whereas i feel this camera is not there for their security but more aimed at spying on my property and to annoy us by invading my family's privacy which is evident by the location of it.

This has caused some distress and concern to us as we have young kids and do not know what the purpose of these camera's capturing the goings on at my property or whether they are being streamed and if my kids are at risk. Is there anything that can be done legally to adjust them, take further action or is this just how the law is?

Thanks for reading and appreciate any advice.
    Last edited by samosa; 17th May 2023, 23:12:PM.
    Tags: None

I take it that nobody else on your street has cameras set up the same way, so this is out of norm.

a) You could speak to Councillors at the Council, they can speak to a welfare / housing officer to do something.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-your-property

b) You could get a Court injunction (costly), but you need proof that it is interfering with your day to day activities, which from what you say, it is.

c) You could make a claim against your neighbour under the 'harassment' / 'data protection laws'. Remember you need to have evidence.

Posted for info only -

https://www.brettwilson.co.uk/blog/n...laim-succeeds/

But seek some legal advice before you embark on legal action.

Comment

I understood that you are not allowed to "spy" overlook neighbors' property, when I set up CCTV I called the neighbors to approve looking at the front of their house, and I was informed that you must inform them.

Comment

From the Information Commissioner: https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/do...-cctv-systems/
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by DE DOGS View Post
          I understood that you are not allowed to "spy" overlook neighbors' property, when I set up CCTV I called the neighbors to approve looking at the front of their house, and I was informed that you must inform them.
          We weren't informed nor do they have signs saying they are recording. I dont have any objections in them having cameras but they give more coverage to my property than their own. We've asked them nicely to adjust them away from ours and met with torrents of abuse.

No one else has cameras in the street.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
            I take it that nobody else on your street has cameras set up the same way, so this is out of norm.

a) You could speak to Councillors at the Council, they can speak to a welfare / housing officer to do something.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-your-property

b) You could get a Court injunction (costly), but you need proof that it is interfering with your day to day activities, which from what you say, it is.

c) You could make a claim against your neighbour under the 'harassment' / 'data protection laws'. Remember you need to have evidence.

Posted for info only -

https://www.brettwilson.co.uk/blog/n...laim-succeeds/

But seek some legal advice before you embark on legal action.
            Thanks, What would qualify as evidence? I'm also preparing to take legal advice.

Update: Police have countered by saying I need to prove alarm and distress but neighbour would likely counter to say they are there for their safety.
            Last edited by samosa; 18th May 2023, 12:35:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by samosa View Post

Thanks, What would qualify as evidence? I'm also preparing to take legal advice.
              Everything you've got, keep adding to it, take discreet pictures of it 'covertly', you don't want them recording you taking pics, but their are ways (so you can demonstrate the angle). You can write to your neighbour making a request, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X