• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What are my rights in mothers property? after mothers death.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my rights in mothers property? after mothers death.

My neighbour lived with her mother for several years ,also being her carer . Now her sister who lives elswhere has demanded she leave the property as its to be sold with vacant possesion , I think she's been given 30 days. Is this legal or can she stay, basically what are her rights ,I believe she will inherit a proportion of the house.
    She does not want to eave the property as she has no where to go so is she entitled to stay for longer a month ? I've told her to ask citizens advice as the letter demanding she move out came from a solicitor.
    Any help would be appreciated?
    Tags: None

Did the mother leave a will?
    Has your friend seen the will?
    Why is the other sister dealing with the estate?
    I think she would have some rights, but it maybe an idea to seek some initial advice from a solicitors, a small fixed fee.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/fa...-of-intestacy/

Comment

The sister has power of attorney , and will not let her see the will .The house has been divided 3 ways the two siblings and grandchildren .

She has basically been told to get out they have no relationship the sister is very unpleasant.

Comment

She has nowhere to go at the moment and the sister is a bully and I'm afraid she won't stand up for herself.
        She will just leave but that can't be right till at least the house is sold surely and that could be months?

Comment

Powers of attorney cease to have any effect on the death of the donor of the power.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The sister is the executor of the will so does this mean my neighbour just has to do as she's told? Her sister is just dictating .

Comment

the executor has the right to deal with the estate. But the executor has to act within the law. echat11 has said what your friend should do.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Drpepper99 View Post
                The sister is the executor of the will so does this mean my neighbour just has to do as she's told? Her sister is just dictating .
                What your friend needs to do (you can help), get your friend to see a solicitor, fixed fee (check reviews), your friend needs to assert her rights and protect her own interests before it's to late. What if she doesn't get what she should get? She doesn't have to be intimidated, the solicitor and your good self can help her.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X