• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbours boundary wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbours boundary wall

Good Morning, My neighbours boundary wall has huge cracks and is now leaning over into our garden due to overgrown trees, I’ve spoken to the council and they said it’s a civil matter, we’ve approached her respectfully to draw her attention to the damage but she has dismissed our concerns.
    The wall is also damaged to the front which is a public footpath in and out of the close.
    We are obviously concerned about potential root damage to our property.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Could the neighbour's boundary wall be a potential 'hazard?, i.e. Health & Safety

Could it fall on someone and injury them? Then the Council needs to act, lodge a complaint with them.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ho...wall-or-fence/

With any of you insurance policies do you have legal expenses cover? Then a solicitor can advise and act on your behalf to move the matter forward.

Comment

Have you raised this with your neighbour?

Sorry - I guess this is the "her" you have raised it with.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I'm thinking (guessing), she might be elderly and 'ignoring' the issue, no doubt she doesn't comprehend the seriousness of it or the anxiety it is causing you.

Comment

Which local council is this?

Section 77 of the Building Act 1984. (the 1984 Act) empowers local authorities (District Councils) to deal with a building or structure which is in a dangerous condition.

So I would be contacting the Building Control Dept of the local council (copying in their CEO and your local councillor) and refer them to their responsibilities

Here is how Stratford deal with the matter:https://www.stratford.gov.uk/doc/174...%20policy.pdf/

Basically Building control surveyors should visit and advise on the course of action to remove the danger . The property owner should be instructed to arrange for the structure to be removed or repaired within an agreed timescale. In the case of immediate danger, building control surveyors may employ an emergency contractor to carry out the necessary works, usually on the same day, and then recover the costs from the property occupier.

Comment

Thank you for all advice, in reply to DES8
            the local council is Hartlepool (Co Durham)

The Neighbour is not elderly but only lives at the house part time which is maybe why she seems to not care about the condition of the wall, and oblivious to the imminent danger and potential harm to pedestrians. Let alone damage to our property.
            A pillar on the front wall is loose and has already fallen onto the footpath, someone has placed it back onto the precarious position
            I will contact My Councillor , Local planning g dept , check my house insurance and come back with their reply’s.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X