• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Severe noise from building works next door

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe noise from building works next door

Hi, hoping someone can help. This situation is causing a great deal of stress.

We live in a semi-detached property. Around 2 months ago our neighbours commenced work on a huge renovation - extensions at the back, front and a loft conversion. Every step of the way they have not communicated with us in advance. Just to give an idea, we came down one morning and our fences had been removed, patio tiles removed/broken, and severe noise made from demolishing buildings in their garden.

Some level of noise/inconvenience is understandable. Our son was 4 weeks when it started and 14 weeks now. On multiple occasions noise has been made where it sounds like the builders are drilling into the corner of our house or our wall. Noisewise it can be 80+ decibels all across our house except for our upstairs bathroom. Studies suggest babies should not be subjected to over 60+ decibels for long periods.

We spoke to our neighbours and asked that they give us some notice if they need to drill into/near our wall like that. Since then this has recurred without warning twice. The neighbours have blamed changes to builders and messages not being passed on. On Tuesday the builder came round and said they would need to put scaffolding in our garden - no notice given.

On Wednesday drilling started again louder than ever. My baby and I were out but my partner was in. The builders had changed again and seemingly had no idea about the agreement. They told us they would be spending several days drilling (they had started a loft conversion and were installing huge metal beams) so we arranged to leave the house for 2.5 days, at expense, effort and inconvenience to us. I asked them to get our neighbour to call us to discuss it. It turned out our neighbours had vacated the property but not thought to tell us about any of the upcoming very noisy work. My neighbour finally called me yesterday and was apologetic but did not seem to understand the impact this was having. He said he would talk to his builders and get back to me by today. My partner and I have now tested positive for covid so taking ourselves out is not easy or safe.

They have planning permission for this and the building control application says "approved conditionally" - but it's unclear what these conditions might be.

We have had no prior warning/seeking permission for 1) scaffolding in our garden, 2) severe noise made possibly drilling into the party wall. Looking at the party wall act 1996 it seems reasonable steps must be taken to reduce inconvenience for us. I don't feel that is the case but we don't know enough about the nature of the work that is going ahead to understand if we would be covered by this act, or should have been presented with anything to agree to/sign.

Can anyone share any advice/expertise please?

Thank you

Rachel
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X