• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

what happens with paying mortgage balance after split and sale of house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what happens with paying mortgage balance after split and sale of house

Hi all, I really hope I can get some information regarding my situation.

My ex and I split 4 years ago, she has now left the U.K. with my children and has found a buyer for our house. I am concerned that the money will come from the buyers to our solicitor and then will be split accordingly between us.

I fear she will then not pay off the outstanding mortgage arrears and leave me to use my portion of the sale money to pay it off, essentially leaving me in debt to the tune of ££,£££’s. Is this how it works or is the mortgage paid off before the left over money is split between us?

I’m so worried.
    Tags: None

The sale proceeds will have to be used first to repay the mortgage. The buyer's solicitors will insist that the property is sold free of mortgage. Any surplus will then be divided between the 2 of you.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you so much that is a relief!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X