• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problems with Parking - Can I Put Up CCTV?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Parking - Can I Put Up CCTV?

I have lived very happily at my home for 8 years, that is until last year when a new neighbour moved in.

Basically I have a driveway. Across the driveway is an h bar and double yellows lines.
    When the neighbour first moved in their visitors kept parking across my drive, blocking me on on countless occassions.

I know for a fact under the Highway Code it is an offence to block access to your driveway.

I am also registered disabled and a blue badge holder.

I don't drive.

However we've had words with our neighbours on numerous occasions for their visitors not to park across the drive, on one occassion I had to go out to ask someone to move their vehicle as they parked across just as we were about to go out.

Thing is the neighbour is a bloody Councillor, who should know better, however he is unaproachable and thinks he can do what he likes.

I want to put up CCTV camera in due course.

If I capture any offending vehicle deliberately parking across my drive, what can I about it it?

I would class this as harassment and intimidation, would the police accept CCTV and am I allowed to do this as its starting to cause problems.
    Tags: None

If you have a dropped kerb you can report the incident to your local council (check their website on how to), as you can if cars are parked illegally on yellow lines.
    A couple of PCNs issued to transgressors might solve your problem

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      If you have a dropped kerb you can report the incident to your local council (check their website on how to), as you can if cars are parked illegally on yellow lines.
      A couple of PCNs issued to transgressors might solve your problem
      I have spoken to the traffic warden people.

The have said they will come round more regularly to monitor the situation during daylight hours, I will also photograph offending vehicles.

I do have a dropped kerb as well as the double yellows, and h bar.

They can send a Warden out and put a PCN on the vehicle.

Can I film parking issues if its slightly outside my boundary!?

That side of things isn't very clear.

We thought we had made it very clear to the neighbour not to park outside our driveway, but this clearly hasn't stopped, we feel he is abusing his position by encouranging his visitors to park there.

Comment

You can film and report breaches of parking regulations wherever they occur.

The council may issue penalty notices on the evidence you supply

If the highway is being obstructed, this is an offence contrary to Regulation 103 Road Vehicles Construction and Use Regulations 1983.
        if you continually have problems it might be worth reporting to the police, who should attend

Comment

From my understanding (though I may be wrong) you should be "in the clear" for the cctv cameras as long as they're not showing neighbours own "territory". I have had to put up a set of cctv cameras pretty recently myself because of neighbours. Mine show our road through up into my garden. So "our" road - but not "their personal land". I think it's probably helped quite a bit in stopping the next door neighbours parking in my ROW. A combination of that and I'm obviously not going to be bothered if my gates end up opening out into where the illicit cars are parked (as I would know they had been there more than 20 minutes and so definitely should not be there). Parking in a ROW is only allowed for "loading and unloading" people and goods and I gather 20 minutes is defined as the maximum amount of time that is considered reasonable for those purposes. So - at minute 21 = if I wish to open my gates then I will do so (though the vast majority of the time I could count sooner than that - because they've just 'parked' to stay and there's no sign of any "loading/unloading" being done). So that - and maybe a visit to neighbour from local community police to point out they are breaking the law should hopefully resolve the issue.

So I would say the relevant point is not that it's "outside your boundary" - but that it is NOT "inside their personal boundary" imo.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X