• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Local Council Attaching CCTV to my property wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Council Attaching CCTV to my property wall

Looking for any advice I can get on this subject.

The local council used to have a wayleave agreement with me where they would pay me yearly for having their cctv camera mounted on my external wall.
    This year I decided to do some digging and found that what they were paying me was drastically lower than what I should be getting so I wrote them a letter advising them of what I felt they should be paying and that if an agreement could not be met then I’d like the camera removed.
    I was called by them shortly after advising that they were going to be taking down all of the cameras in the area and pole mounting them rather than having them attached to properties external walls . I was advised that the camera on my wall would be removed and that a final payment would be provided.
    What the council have actually done is to remove the camera from the front of my wall and move it to the side of my wall instead and this was done without my knowledge, without my consent and with complete disregard to my request in my letter.
    I am just looking to find out if the council can legally have done this without the consent from me as the homeowner?
    Tags: None

My instant reaction is that I am not aware of anything that permits this without your agreement.

Have you raised this with the council? If so, what have they said?

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Fully agree with Atticus & also,what CCTV warning notice has been placed immediate to the camera?

Comment

Thanks for replying.

I have questioned the council on this but have yet to receive a reply.

This is partly why I am seeking advice so that I may ready my response to them with some information behind me. My thoughts mirror yours in that I do not see how they can have legally done this without seeking my permission.

Even if they had advised the camera was staying up, which the did not, I would still think that some sort of communication and consent would have been required by the home owner before they moved it?

It feels very much like they have just tried to fob me off and completely ignore the requests in my letter. I’m hoping that the reply I receive confirms what was discussed in our telephone conversation so that I have it in writing that they have done the exact opposite of what the advised.

I will update with any response I receive from the council.

Thanks again

Comment

No warning signs are visible that I am aware of. I live on a top floor flat and the camera is mounted on a long steel bracket which is bolted to my wall. I guess this is why my flat is used as the height allows the camera to monitor the entire area.

I did a little research in Wayleave agreements and the percentage to property values etc and it was at this point I questioned them on how much they were paying me. I felt due to the noise it makes and the strain it puts on my wall, it merited more than the £50 per year they were paying me. It was at this point of question that they offered me £150 final payment and that the camera would be removed completely and pole mounted away from the property. Instead they have simply moved it a meter from the front wall to the left hand wall without notifying me and I have not seen a penny of that £150. It was in February that this conversation took place.

I may add that the council have also forced me in to paying over £1000 for works done on the block. I voted no to any works being carried out but due to me being the only home owner within the block I was outvoted and have been forced into paying these bills. This has unfortunately put me in quite a bit of financial hardship due to the current climate. When seeking help from them and explaining my situation the only response I got was to take them to court.

All in all I am not having a great time with my local council just now.

Comment

You own a lease. That lease will define what property is let. It will sometimes be the inner walls and ceilings and floors. If so, you may not be able to prevent them attaching a CCTV to the external wall.

Check.

Comment

I don’t own a lease, I actually own the property. This is why a Wayleave agreement is in place as they cannot have the camera in my property without my consent.

They have since advised me that the “work” will commence in the New Year (whatever that means) but have offered no explanation as to why the camera was moved and why no communication or consent was requested by me?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X