• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Collapsed ceiling after builders left hole in roof

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapsed ceiling after builders left hole in roof

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum so please feel free to move it if it's not.

I currently cohabit a top floor flat with a housemate.
    Whilst the block of flats is owned by the council, my housemate has a mortgage on the flat itself.

There is a fee paid monthly by everyone to a building management company who perform maintenance.
    A few months ago we received a letter through the post exclaiming how they intend to replace the roof and windows of every flat in the building (and every set of flats in the street for what it's worth) This was not something we decided we wanted but since the rest of the building is owned by the council we said okay because it was being paid for by them.

Three weeks ago they started on our building, set up the scaffolding and started work on the roof.
    They were there every day for nine or ten days in a row but we havent seen them since last Wednesday and they haven't completed the roof. The scaffolding is still up so we guess they have all gone on holiday.

It's since been raining heavily every day and the kitchen ceiling first started to have water drip through the light fixture which we had to call an electrician and then the ceiling started to warp and buckle before today it completely collapsed and soaked the floor.

There's a large hole in the ceiling now about half a metre across and the board that came through is absolutely soaked.

Taking a look in the attic there's a clear hole in the roof now where water has been leaking in.

I've lived here for three years and never had a single leak and my housemate for nine and she neither.

Who is responsible for this? Although the flat is privately owned, surely it's down to the builders to ensure there isn't a hole in the roof before they go on holiday? (or whatever it is they have been doing)

We're very concerned they are going to try to palm us off and expect us to pay for the fixing.

What is the correct course of action here? We have sent for an emergency person from the building management so they can patch it up for tonight but what do we do next?

Sorry for the long winded post.

Thanks for all advice in advance
    Tags: None

I would complain to the council.

Do you have property insurance?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Contact your insurers. They are there to sort these things out.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X