• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Right to buy Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right to buy Help

Hello

I am In need of some help regarding benefits and the right to buy scheme.
    I am eligible for the right to buy the council bungalow I currently live in.
    I am on the disability benefits ESA and PIP and have lived in this property alone for the last 5
    years. My brother is in a position to buy the property out right for me
    without the need for a mortgage but I would be the owner not himself. Would he
    need to pay any substantial tax if he bought the property out right for
    me? I would be the sole owner of the property. The
    value of the right to buy property is around 100k before any
    government deduction. It will be around 60-70k with deduction.
    I was told that it may be best to have my brother gift me the money and I then buy the property but wouldnt this impact my benefits?
    Not sure what the best plan is, any advice would be great.

Many thanks for your time
    Tags: None

Above all, if you can do so properly, buy the house.

The process will involve real questions about the source of your funding. The right is personal to you. The less you complicate that the better.

Which of your benefits are means tested?

How much caan you contribute? What mortgage can you get?

Comment

Thanks for your reply. ESA I think is means tested. PIP is not. I can contribute 6k in savings to help buy the property but the bulk of the money will be from my brother which is about 80k. The property will be not mortgaged. it will be fully paid off .. but i am not sure if this is the best option. Further advice would be helpful.

Comment

What is the long-term gain that you are trying to achieve by your brother buying the property?

Comment

Consider a possibility that your brother lends you the 60k on a mortgage

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X