• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rent payable to co-owners?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rent payable to co-owners?

I have a question regarding paying rent as a co-owner.

My unmarried partner died in January, she had a 70% stake in the property and I owned the remaining 30%. There is no mortgage.

We were tenants in common so her 2 adult children have inherited her 70% share. The children want their share of the money in the house so we have agreed to market the house in spring 2023 with my 94 year old mother and myself living in the house until sold.

Until the house is sold they want to receive a monthly payment equalling 70% of the market rent. As co owners is it reasonable for them to demand rent and, if so, is market rent the appropriate amount.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Yes on both counts.

The 70% owners can go to force a sale.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Atti has it right, subject to the absence of any deed of trust declaring differently.

Comment

I meant to say "go to court to force a sale".
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you both.

I would have thought that as a co owner, demanding market rent is unreasonable in that I have an interest in maintaining the property to a higher standard than any tenant would? Therefore a lower rent should apply.

Comment

It is called an occupation rent, and the consideration you describe does not apply. Instead, agree that any money spent on improvements goes into the calculations of division when the property is sold.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X