• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Private Housing Rent Increase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Housing Rent Increase

I'm sure this is an old chestnut here, but today (on my 65th birthday) the landlord (or more accurately the landlord's husband) has emailed to propose a rent increase from 1st October of £50, from £725 to £775. My wife and I are both on benefits, ESA and PIP, and we can't afford it, especially in light of the financial and economic situation out there already. Can I get any advice here? The Cornwall Council Private Sector Housing department has sent us to the CAB who have been proving difficult to contact today, as are Shelter, so I thought I'd ask here. I'm happy to supply any further information, both factual and/or anecdotal.
    Tags: None

When is the rent increase dur to take place in relation to the term of the lease.

Comment

31st August is when the annual anniversary takes place. Unfortunately, it happens to be my birthday! We moved in this time of year in 2016. The rent was then £695. We have been advised to submit a list of disrepair sto be undertaken by him, prior to an investigation with a view to an improvement order.

Comment

Unfortunately the very simple point is that your landlord is entitled to ask you to agree a rent increase. If you are not able to agree something with your landlord, he may initiate the process to end your tenancy and obtain possession by serving a s21 notice.

Have you read this, from Shelter? https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...sk_for_repairs
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X