• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Permitted Development v Section 106 Agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permitted Development v Section 106 Agreement

There is currently a live Prior Approval request to change the use of office space covering two floors immediately above a social club and nursery into residential dwellings through Permitted Development.
    The entire building was purpose built as part of a Section 106 agreement designed to provide community space and offset some of the loss of employment when an old factory site was developed.
    the developer created only a bare shell for the office space and marketed it poorly - the cost of fitting out made any small business occupation impossible (designed to show lack of interested parties)
    There was a parking plan entered in the Planning application as a condition of discharge stating that the social club and office space would share 14 car parking spaces with the idea being that the office space was daytime use and the social club would use the spaces evenings and weekends.
    the developer has now sold the freehold for the office space and a new owner is trying for permitted change of use and stating that the 14 spaces will be used by the dwellings.
    Can they change parking allocation when it is a formal part of the planning consent? Should S106 protect the social club’s shared parking?
    Tags: None

All you can do is look at the terms of the agreement. s106 agreements can be hard to enforce.

Comment

I have come across a few s.106 agreements before and my understanding is that these agreements run with the land and bind successors in title. The fact that there may be a right to convert under a permitted development does not necessarily override the s.1016 agreement as these types of agreements are planning obligations and usually entered into as an alternative to refusing planning permission.

S.106 agreements are simply a contractual agreement between the local authority and the developer at the time, so enforceability can only be done through the LA and by the same token, they can also be varied through agreement.

I'm afraid I can't add much more to that other than it would be risky for the developer to run the argument that a permitted development right overrides a planning obligation unless there is something in the legislation or case law to back it up.

I'm afraid I can't offer much more other than suggesting to contact your local planning authority and make a case against the developer's change of use.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X