• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neigbour fixed fence to wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neigbour fixed fence to wall

My elderly mother has neighbours who has bolted their fence into her masonry. I was wondering how we proceed with getting them to remove it. She phoned the local planning office and they said they don't deal with such matters.
    Tags: None

You ask the neighbour politely to remove the fence, and make good the damage to the wall, as they are trespassing.

You could point out that it would only have been good manners to ask first, and then they would not have to undo their work as permission would not have been given.

Comment

I agree.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

May thanks for your response. She has already asked then to remove it. She just ignored her. They don't get along.

Comment

So write asking for it to be removed. (first class post with free certificate of posting from post office)
          In the letter point out that they are trespassing and that the damage to the wall could be considered criminal.
          Explain that your mother does not want the relationship to deteriorate, nor does she wish to take legal action, but if the trespass does not cease within two weeks(?) she will need to take steps to protect her property

If that doesn't work she could then involve the police or eventually after sending another warning letter, seek a court order fot its removal and making good the damage or both

Comment

Great advice but I do not understand why the Police would be in the slightest bit interested? What am I missing?

Comment

Drilling holes in a third party's masonry without permission is causing damage to property which is an offence under the Criminal Damage Act 1971.
              The police may not be interested as it may well be regarded as minimal, but if one was to mention that it might lead to a breach of the peace as well ............................

Comment

got you! I think the value is more in mentioning it to the neighbours if things go downhill as I am sure the Police will go for "its a civil matter sir"!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X