• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbor claiming water damage on his property.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbor claiming water damage on his property.

I moved into my house 2yrs ago in Michigan. We have a pool in our backyard and it takes up most of the back yard. Around the whole back yard is a pool fence and directly inside the pool fence are arborvitae trees for privacy. Our next door neighbor started complaining this spring that there’s water collecting from rain and not draining from his property because the arborvitae raised the elevation of my property overtime. The pool was put in in 2000 same with the pool fence and we assume the arborvitae. The neighbor called the city to complain, the city came out and said that there’s a natural drainage easement running through the back of our backyards and that a pine tree in our backyard over time changed the elevation of the easement and now it obstructs natural flow of water. They recommended I dig a small ditch to allow for the water to drain again. However, there are many areas along our fence line that are low points on his property and collecting water. He wants us to pay for the installation of a dry well and French drains to dry up his backyard, cost of ~$3,000. This is the first time he’s complaining about this and says water has always collected their but never this bad. We’re the 3rd owners of the house and the pool, fence, and arborvitae were installed by the first owner 22yrs ago. The houses were built in the 1990’s. The neighbor is the original owner of his house and has lived there for almost 25yrs. We’re digging the ditch that the city recommended and will call the city back to inspect it and sign off on it. Does the neighbor have any legal rights to demand I pay for the dry well and French drain or is he full of it? The neighbor is an attorney so if this has to go to court it will be a lot more expensive for me than to just pay him for the drain. I’ll take all the advice I can get. Thank you all in advance.
    Tags: None

Good morning, and welcome.

Unfortunately this is a UK law forum, so the members here will not be able to offer useful advice in relation to your problem.

But can I wish you the best of luck.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now in academia. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you for the post. I must have missed that this is not an American forum.

take care.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X