• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shared Septic Tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Septic Tank

Need some advice please . Our last parent sadly passed in June last year . We are trying to sell the family home,that is situated in a rural village . The house is one of three houses that form a barn conversion , converted in 1982. All three share a septic tank located in the last houses garden . I remember many years ago, my father and last owner of end house rigged up a pump to pump overflow water down to a ditch / old dis user pond . I was very young at the time .
    as we come to put house on market , estate agent advised us that we would need to have the septic tank updated more than likely to fit new rules . We spoke with owners at end who said they would get quotes from their own builder and we would aswell. They have since said they actually don’t want to , as they don’t plant to move for 20 years and don’t want their lawn digging up etc .
    today I met at the house with a company to get a quote for our late parents house to have its own treatment pit in .we went to speak to the end house , and have a look. He said that how , any overflow water is pumped into a special above ground tank that he uses on his allotment on garden ? They only moved in 2 years ago , and it seems that they are genuinely not happy about all three houses waste running into tank in their garden , but I have said sadly that is how the houses were converted and never was a problem . It’s going to cost a small fortune to have some kind of system put into my late parents garden etc to solve this ! Does the own lee of the last house have the right to refuse to agree to update system , as it’s shared , and has always been , and all houses used to chip
    in for service and emptying etc ? ( the middle house actually had a kligester installed some years ago ) surely if it is shared , always has been, and was set up in the 80s this way , he can’t refuse ? As when we sell, it will
    Need sorting ? Where do we stand please
    Tags: None

I would suggest you contact the environment Agency for advice.
    i recall (from a friend's prob lems) that all systems needed to comply with new regulations about 2 years ago

Comment

you need to do some digging (sorry) to try to find out what agreements and covenants may exist relating to these arrangements.

If possible, obtain Land Registry title documents for all properties. That may just be a starting point.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I seem to recall that if the tank was in situ before a certain date (I think mid 80s) it is not caught by the regulations. Have a check!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X