• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gas Safety visit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Safety visit

Hi again.

I have another thread about our rented property/2 months notice/landlord & property issues etc. etc.

It all went quiet, then we got a letter from the landlords "agent" in the post regarding a gas appliance check.

The letter said "If access to the property cannot be agreed in the next 7 days we may be forced to disconnect the gas supply until the gas inspection is completed".

Really?

We have rented this house for over 20 years, and have NEVER had a gas safety check since day one.

Can they just disconnect the gas?

I have no issue with someone coming to check the gas appliances, but I think it is just an excuse for them to give us 2 months notice.

They're supposed to be a genuine Letting Agent, but the letter had NO company name on it and on the the back the envelope, his "company" name was handwritten!

What should I do?

Thank
    Ian
    Tags: None

Gas checks MUST by law be done once a year. Without that paperwork they cannot serve notice on you. They cannot legally disconnect the gas supply.

Comment

This sounds like a Scam. Do nothing without a proper notice, but you could check with the gas Company to see if they have any inspection on record. No inspection for 20 years seems rather concerning from a safety aspect.

Comment

Landlords gas checks are nothing to do with the gas company. They are carried out by Gassafe inspectors and paid for by the LL who needs the safety certificate if he / she wishes to evict (and of course to comply with the law). It is correct that no inspection is concerning from a safety point of view!

Comment

Okay thank you - does a "Gas Safe" engineer have an ID card of any sort, just so we know he's not just turning up randomly?

Comment

has to be on the gas safe register - ask in advance for his name and number and check him out https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X