• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Security Deposit Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Deposit Again

Im sure people have asked this a thousand times, but the law has changed a fair bit.

Just moved out after 3 years. never put nail in wall. very clean. They want professional company to clean chimney, carpets, and empty septic tank. Am I right that 3rd party charges are not permitted now.. Also do the carpets, chimney and septic tank need to be professionally cleaned before tenancy with proof if the agent wants that from us.
    All help appreciated.

Stephen
    Last edited by steveeasy; 25th January 2022, 18:54:PM.
    Tags: None

Just wondered if someone could add some clarity.

security deposit.

deposit paid. rented for 3 years. no rent due. left clean and tidy. no marks or nails in walls. thought we had cleaned very well.

landlord says he wants all the deposit .

he wants money for chimney cleaning.
    money for carpet cleaning.
    money for window cleaning.
    one worksurface not oiled
    septic tank emptying
    damage to draw(it was broken and missing on check in)

to clarify.
    no reciepts of chimney cleaning septic tank, carpet cleaning or window cleaning at check in.

He wants it all done professionally when we checked out.

they did not do a check out so we do not have a report . they just want to keep it all.

In my view these are unfair as it puts the landlord in a better place3 than before letting it.

any views appreciated.

Steveeasy

Comment

was there a check in inventory?
      Was the deposit correctly protected? If so raise a dispute with the protection company. If not you can claim 3 x the deposit from the LL!

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
        was there a check in inventory?
        Was the deposit correctly protected? If so raise a dispute with the protection company. If not you can claim 3 x the deposit from the LL!
        Yes.the check in inventory was fine. I booked a check out and the agent did not want one.(we had a good relationship with the agents) she popped in the day after we left. Then the landlord was not happy. the agent has just said ill have to raise a dispute with the deposit scheme.

Id like to see there pics showing it was untidy as it was not at all. Id like to know how they breakdown the money they wish to claim. they wont say. Ive asked for the check out report again. no response. Ive asked for proof of professional cleaning. septic tank emptying and chimney sweeping proof ie reciepts. none provided.

Thanks
        steveeasy

Comment

Although I have no personal experience I believe the deposit schemes demand decent proof from the LL of any deductions made. So he will raise a dispute with the scheme and you will deny what he says and then the scheme will adjudicate. The LL will have to provide his proof...

Comment

Hi Island girl,
            You may be right. Ive spent some time reading my deposits advice. landlord and agent do nothing. tennant submits dispute application with details. they accept it. landlord gets 20 days to respond. tennant 3 days to respond. decision. sounds bit one sided.

I am baffled as the agent wont give us her check out report. and she represents landlord and only says they want the whole deposit. if I want to oppose it go to my deposits. so what am I opposing. no details. no figures. Ill keep asking for a check out report. ill ask every 7 days. see what happens.
            steveeasy

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X