• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voiding / declaring a house sale invalid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voiding / declaring a house sale invalid

Hi Legal Beagles, I wonder if you can help. Without going into specific circumstances at this stage (tho I recognise I might need to do that if I'm to get the answer I need), can anyone advise me under what circumstances the sale of a house could be declared invalid / null and void? I am thinking specifically of a situation where the exchange has taken place, money has been transferred and both the sellers and buyers have moved into their new homes. Are there any conditions under which a completed sale might be reversed or declared invalid? (For clarity, I realise such a situation would probably end up going to court, unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm guessing this couldn't simply be done by the solicitors involved). I'm looking for any circumstances under which such a reversal might take place, doesn't matter how unlikely or unusual they are (one party claiming to have signed the contract under duress, for example). Thanks.
    Tags: None

I am following this thead as it sounds really interesting though I have no experience in this area. Would it not be more likely that someone could be forced to hand over the value of the house rather than the contract being voided? I hope you get the advice you need.

Comment

The short answer is that theoretically a buyer could sue the seller for misrepresentation or for breach of the sales agreement or for fraud.
      If found in the claimants favour the courts could rescind the contract or award compensation

For the longer answer a lot more info required and pragmatically it would be unusual as most problems are discovered during the conveyancing process

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X