• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Home Developer Dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Developer Dispute

I have a new build home that I have lived in now for 5 months. On our home there was an outside mains electrical outlet that we have found useful and used almost daily.

I have since been informed that it was the incorrect one installed and they need access to the properly to swap or over for a different one that is essentially a Car EV plug charger which I have zero use for.

I asked them if I could keep the existing one as we use it every day and don’t want the inconvenience of having it removed to then have to pay for one to be fitted again.

I was told that they have to install the new one due to regulations of the planning permissions and they would need access to the property for repairs as stated in my contract when buying the home.

I asked if they would consider installing or keeping the external standard 3 pin plug along side this new EV charger that I wouldn’t use as I feel it unfair that they take something away from my home that I have used for 5 months due to an error on their side.

They said due to regulations they will not install a separate wall plug to replace they one they are removing as it’s against the regulations set out. But I can arrange this and pay myself.

I assume here I have no leg to stand on legally and would have to let them come onto my property and remove something I don’t want them to remove and install this new charger that I have no use for?

I wondered what would happened as I had intended on swapping the existing external wall mount to one with more than one 3 pin UK plug. I assume they would have removed the one I paid to be installed, fitted one I didn’t want and probably charged me for the one I scrapped?

I’m probably kicking up a fuss over something I can’t change but the amount of issues I’ve had with this developer since buying my home has built up to this causing me to reach out!

thanks I’m advance.
    Tags: None

Hi Jay

If it's down to regulations, then there is little you can do. But if the infrastructure for the outside socket is deactivated but remains in place (see if you can declare it's your responsibility in writing, see if they agree), then replaced by by a 'competent' person (a case of replacing the socket safely). Then let them install one inside. Ask them for compensation as it's entirely their fault the socket needs replacing, you will have to stay home, maybe miss work etc.

Comment

So what exactly have you got installed outside? Is it covered, with or without plug in? Perhaps they want to install a 16 amp socket, as per caravan installations, something like this, with IP44 rating

What bit of the regs does it not comply with? Get them to explain.

Here's an external socket that meets regs https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBIPRCD.html Rated at IP66 so you can turn your pressure washer at it

Comment

IP 66 outside socket to fit. £150 . Increase to property value due to having a EV charging point 100s of pounds .

I know what I would do

Comment

I’ve been told they were meant to install a POD-Point Solo 32A 7kw EV charger outside. But instead they installed a 13Amp <3kw charger which has a standard 3 pin UK power plug which is for me very handy. The EV plug they want to swap it to would never get used as I have no interest in an EV vehicle for the next few years anyway.

Swapping them over is not a problem for me but it’s the fact I would lose the standard 3 pin outside plug that I have had and been using for 5 months. They refuse to leave this and refuse to install an outside plug to replace the one they are removing along side the new one.

The homes apparently during planning were meant to have the 32A charger. So they have to swap them over otherwise the homes do not meet the planning regulations agreed upon with the local council. They have said I have to give access for the work as stated in my contract. I’m just peeved off that they would not consider putting a standard outside plug in for the inconvenience of them suddenly taking the one I have now away. I now have to pay an electrician to install one when Strata Homes have removed it.

I guess I don’t have a leg to stand on to demand that they install a replacement plug for the one they have to remove due to their error. Just another inconvenience for me as well as having to have time off work for them to do the work.

They have been a nightmare to deal with since day one and have taken ages to get certain things rectified. So I intend on taken as long a I can before giving them access to do the work. Since I have to take time off work for their mistake. Especially when it involved them taking something away from my home that I use and want to keep.

Madness.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X