• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Owe council for over payment can they tke from anothr boarders rent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owe council for over payment can they tke from anothr boarders rent

I had a boarder leave at the end of April, we were overpaid heer rent. This month the rent for a different boarder has not been paid. The council says this is to offset the overpayment. He is now behind with his rent. Can the Council do this?

Tags: None

islandgirl Can you please take a look and advise? Thank you.

Comment

all depends on what agreement you have with the council - go back to that and see what it says

Comment

I don't have a formal agreement with the council. Both the relevant people were claiming LHA and as they have mental health problems it is paid directly to me.

Comment

Then I can only advise arranging a meeting with the council and discussing the issue, I would imagine the council can reclaim an overpayment so it would make sense to use it for another client but we cannot possibly advise without knowing the conditions under which you let the rooms to the council

Comment

I don't let rooms to the council. I let rooms to individuals. Both these people have poor mental health and coping abilities. They are in receipt of benefits. The rent component is paid directly to me. One of these left suddenly leaving me overpaid. Cant the council fail to pay for one person because anothers benefits was paid to me.

Comment

so is it the benefits agency you need to speak to not the council? They can certainly reclaim an overpayment so it may be more sensible to deal with it as they suggest but go and see them or speak to them or email them and get it in writing so they do not later try to reclaim the overpayment anyway would be my advice

Comment

The council will claim overpayment because there client has left your property and they should not be paying the rent.

been in a similar situation myself. No arguing with the jobs worth in the council

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
                  I had a boarder leave at the end of April, we were overpaid heer rent. This month the rent for a different boarder has not been paid. The council says this is to offset the overpayment. He is now behind with his rent. Can the Council do this?
                  That tenant is Not behind with his rent.

If there is an over payment in housing benefit or UC rent.

They can deduct the over payment from other tenants housing benefit or UC rent that's been paid direct to the same landlord.

The LL cannot ask that tenant to pay the différance, and it is against the law to do so.

LL could appeal the decision, but usual a waste of time ...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X