• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letting Agency treating us like garbage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting Agency treating us like garbage

Hi,

Firts off thank you for reading this post,

Me and my partner are having some significant issues with a letting agent.

We moved in a property on the 1st of july, from the day we moved in we noticed the agency left bins full of trash and water (too heavy for us to move) in front of our house, plus other miscellaneous trash. We also reported no valves were installed on the heaters, making it impossible for us to regulate them.

Long stor short, 12 emails and several phone calls later, the trash is still there and the heating issues too. At times our request for updates are completely ignored, other times we are asked for generic information (that we already provided) and once we reply we are ignored again.

We have tried to request our landlord's address to speak directly with him, they have declined to give this to us as the property is "fully managed" (illigal as far as I know)

We have opened a formal complaint with them, for a moment it seemed like they were actually going to do something, but it appears as If they went back to ingore us.

We have seen a procedure on Shelter which would technically allow us to at least to hire a contractor ourselves and clear the rubbish and take this off the rent (https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi..._landlord_wont) however we are now almost at the point of paying the rent, we have gone thoguh all the steps (sent 3 different quotes from 3 contractors given them plenty of time to reply) and warned them several times over the past few weeks, they have ignored us at every single warning, except for the last one in which they said this is againts our tenancy agreement.

I am asking for anyone that has some legal knowledge to please help us as we simply have no idea what to do. I find the aforementioned process referenced on Shelter's webiste alone, no other source anywhere confitms that this is actually legal (doing repairs and taking it off the rent). I am scared of doing this as I know in bad faith they will most likely hold it againts us as if we are refusing to pay a part of the rent.

With the agency refusing to hand over the Landlord details, often simply ignoring us (they are perfectly aware they hold all the power, possibly having a legal team and our deposit), and clearly not willing to lift a finger to support us we are stuck here with their decaying rubbish and heating issues ahead of winter. I am also scared to think what will happen if we get any other issue, as we are deailing with an agency that does not do a signle thing, yet claims to be fully managing the property and refuses to provide us with the details of our landlord.

Sorry for the long psot, and thank you so much for your help, we really appreciate it

Thank you,

Tags: None

Hi DP899

Contact your local council, they can help to move the matter forward. You have the evidence of the emails / communications with the 'letting agency', telling them about the 'bins', this is a Health & Safety Issue. Let the Council deal with the 'letting agency'. Keep all communications with the 'letting agency' in writing.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ed_homes_hhsrs

Comment

What do you mean by no valves? Presume this is a water radiator on central heating

Comment

You could search land registry for landlord/owners address for £3.00 https://eservices.landregistry.gov.u...EnquiryInit.do

The Letting agent is required by law to give you landlord/owners address on written request as per 1985 Landlords and Tenant act Section 1 and 1987 Landlords and Tenant act Section 48

Have a read of this

https://landlordlawblog.co.uk/2014/0...lords-address/

https://landlordlawblog.co.uk/2017/0...dress-tenants/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X