• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bid on repossessed house and won the auction, Now I have been threatened

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bid on repossessed house and won the auction, Now I have been threatened

Hi All

I have bid on a repossessed house and won the auction

I paid the 7k entry fee and the house deposit of 11k

When I went to see what the house needed doing I was confronted by 4 men in a car who have told me if I proceed with the sale there will be severe consequences

I really dont know what to do in this situation

I called the auctioneer before the sale and they told me there was no issues and it was a simple bank repossession

What are my legal rights on this matter ?

I have checked about the people involved and have been told they are dangerous and not to go any further

Tags: None

Then it is a matter for the Police as you have been threatened.

Comment

Hi Christy76

Hope you've recovered from a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

Do you know how these people (use that description loosely) are involved regards the property? Potential buyers, former owners, family members etc.

I think you should get one of those discrete cameras, have operational when ever you go out. When ever possible have other people around you. Have the police on speed dial on your phone. Have a panic alarm that admits a huge amount of decibels.

I think you should also lodge a complaint with the police. Clearly intimidation.
      Last edited by echat11; 3rd August 2021, 16:20:PM.

Comment

christy76

What checks did you carry out before purchasing this property, and is there anyone living there ?

Comment

Thanks for the replies

There is no way I can safely move in there with my 5 children and feel safe

I dont know the people and dont really want to go down the police route as it will likely annoy them further

Is there anyway to back out at this stage?

Is was an unconditional house auction

Comment

Originally posted by christy76 View Post
            Thanks for the replies

There is no way I can safely move in there with my 5 children and feel safe

I dont know the people and dont really want to go down the police route as it will likely annoy them further

Is there anyway to back out at this stage?

Is was an unconditional house auction
            Some info: https://www.sdlauctions.co.uk/latest...auction-sales/

This is left field, but could those men be in 'cahoots' with the auctioneer, I'm not sure what the motive would be.

Comment

Hi

No one is living in the property but from what I can gather the family members live close by ( its in a rural location)

From the last time I called a sign has been placed on the gate there to say private Road

Even though the auctioneer was offering viewings I have now been informed there is no right of way , so this would have been impossible

The auctioneer stated as perfect family home

Comment

Did you bid without viewing the property or reading the legal pack?

Who said there is no right of way?
                Have you checked if the "private" road is a public right of way?
                Have you checked the Land Registry files?

Comment

Hi

I viewed the property without the auctioneer and all seemed ok( its over an hours drive from my location)
                  its only after paying the deposit I went back and was confronted and told this is a private road way and to stay away

I think the previous owner was bidding against me at the auction, or family

The legal pack states checking was the responsibility of the purchaser but as it had a previous mortgage and was lived in I presumed it had a right of way

I haven't signed anything as yet, not sure if this helps

I'm waiting for my solicitor to return from holiday at the moment so in a bit of a mess

Comment

Good that you do at least have a solicitor.

It might or might not be a private roadway, but that does not necessarily mean it is not a public highway.
                    Check it out with the local authority (county council or unitary authority) who will have records of public rights of way in the area.

Even if it is a private road with no public access it is more than likely the house will benefit from a right of way (either by deed or prescription)..

Comment

Is the auctioneer / firm a member of any associations etc?

Comment

If a right of way exists its most likely mentioned in the deeds of the property. Obtaining a copy of the deeds is something you can do yourself without a solicitor for a very small fee at: -

https://www.gov.uk/get-information-a...opies-of-deeds

Please be careful when searching for a deeds online there are many sites purporting to be official but they are actually parasites which should not be used such as onlinelandregistry.org.uk and landregistrytitledeeds.co.uk

Comment

Hi

I done some research in the area today and managed to get information

I have been told that there is a huge family dispute over the house and the Garda are involved as its in the republic of Ireland

The people involved are not to be messed with

If I go ahead its likely to end badly ( and I mean very badly )

This has turned from a dream to a nightmare

I have been told this house will never be sold because of whats going to happen to anyone that moves in

I have also been told that the man who built the house built it with the intention not to pay and get it back for next to nothing once repossessed

No checking of deeds or anything could make anyone aware of this

I wondered why it has taken the bank so long to auction the house as it was repossessed in 2007 ( its likely been auctioned a few times with the same result)

I feel I have been got hook line and sinker

The auctioneer told me the property had no issues at all and is auctioned as a perfect holiday home

I was also told these people have no fear of the authorities

I really dont know what to do here

Last edited by christy76; 4th August 2021, 23:04:PM.

Comment

Excellent 'sleuthing', it sounds like a case of misrepresentation, the auctioneer should have been honest and told you about the 'dispute' (even the police know about the dispute). Legal action against the auctioneer and the bank if they don't unwind the transaction and return all monies.

Some info:on cases (warning - the title is a bit over the top) - http://www.cearta.ie/2018/04/can-you...urdered-in-it/
                            Last edited by echat11; 5th August 2021, 06:37:AM.

Comment

It's nice of you to tell us at this stage that its in the Republic of Ireland. Thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X