• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Party wall agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Party wall agreement

Hi guys,

I am looking to do a ground floor rear extension and am a bit confused about whether I need a party wall agreement with my neighbour.

We are not doing any work to the wall that joins our buildings. We are building outwards and so there is no wall connecting and we are building slightly away from the boundary line.

Can anyone please advise if I need a party wall agreement

Thanks
    Tags: None

Although you are not building up to the boundary, a party wall agreement will be necessary if you will be excavating close to your neighbour’s property (within three or six meters, depending on the depth of the new foundations

Comment

Hi thanks for your response.
      my understanding is that we need it if we are building within 3 metres horizontally to a neighbours building. But as we are building outwards, there is no neighbour building horizontally next to the extension. Unless I have read that incorrectly.

Comment

Sorry, but "building outwards" as opposed to "horizontally" means nothing without a diagram .

However Section 6 of the Party Wall Act covers adjacent excavations. It applies in practice if you are excavating within 3 metres of either a neighbouring or shared structure and to a greater depth than the base of the foundations to that structure (this is extended to 6 metres if your foundations are particularly deep – such as piled foundations).

Comment

As in the area that we are extending into, there is no neighbouring building horizontally
          6 - Adjacent excavation and construction.
          (1) This section applies where—
          (a) a building owner proposes to excavate, or excavate for and erect a building or structure, within a distance of three metres measured horizontally from any part of a building

Comment

Well if your building is not within 3metres, there you go, (although it is 6 metres from a building on neighbouring land if your foundations are deeper than a line drawn at 45 degrees from the bottom of next door’s foundations).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X