• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Obligation to disclose details during house purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obligation to disclose details during house purchase

A neighbours daughter recently purchased a house.
    The house backs onto a local park.
    After moving into her house it suffered defacement by unknown individuals who had climbed the fence from the park and sprayed graffiti on her house as well as trampling her flower borders.
    She went to the police who said they would 'investigate' but didn't hold out much hope as there is no CCTV in the area.

During her conversation with the officer, it came out that the previous owner had made several complaints to the police and park authorities about being subjected to harassment from youths using the park, and that on several occasions the previous owner had been involved in altercations over the fence with people using the park - complaining about their behaviour. in close proximity to the house.

My friend's daughter is now worried that she may be subjected to further unwelcome behaviour as the past experiences of the previous owner appear to imply they suffered regularly from such episodes.
    She now feels she will not be comfortable in the house in future (particularly as she lives alone) but cannot afford to sell it as she struggled to find the money to cover purchasing it.

I seem to remember that when we recently sold our house we had a questionnaire from our solicitor that asked specifically if we were aware of any past/present issues which may affect any owner's enjoyment of the house.
    Is such questioning standard practice during conveyancing, and if so what are the implications if a seller does not answer the questions truthfully and as a result withholding information that should have been available to a purchaser to consider before purchasing the property - as appears to be the case in this situation.
    Tags: None

Hi Syman

https://www.loveyourpostcode.com/wha...ling-house-uk/

Comment

Thanks for that - very informative and confirms what I thought.
      So if someone does not declare past issues that could affect enjoyment of a property, and possibly its re-sale value, am I right in thinking that the previous seller could be financially liable for either compensation or financial loss.

Comment

Originally posted by syman View Post

Thanks for that - very informative and confirms what I thought.
        So if someone does not declare past issues that could affect enjoyment of a property, and possibly its re-sale value, am I right in thinking that the previous seller could be financially liable for either compensation or financial loss.
        Yes, provided that there is clear evidence that the seller knew but concealed that information deliberately. Gather all the evidence, talk to neighbours, get information from the police, police call out records for that address and street, get information from council complaints along that street and get information from the park authorities. Once you get it all together, you will have a very good idea if the seller should have provided that information to your neighbour's daughter.

Your neighbour's daughter should get some CCTV equipment, doesn't have to be expensive, but would be a good move. A great deterrent too.

Comment

Have a look what was actually written on the form. Was it left blank? Was this queried etc

Comment

Thank you both for your input.
            I will pass it on and see what happens.
            Thanks again.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X