• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can I trim *my* branch that's growing over the neighbour's side of the boundary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I trim *my* branch that's growing over the neighbour's side of the boundary?

Hello, I have some tall conifers growing on my side of the fence along the boundary with the neighbour, which is a block of flats.

A few of the conifers over the years have grown out sideways across the boundary and then up up up with the vertical part entirely on the neighbour's side of the boundary. But the trees are rooted on my side so obviously my trees. I want to decapitate the tops of a few of these while they're still within reach but relations with the neighbours are poor and I don't want to ask permission.

From a practical perspective I can do it from my side and go over and collect the cuttings from their car park after it's done, but do I have the right to cut these branches? The cut and all of the removed bits would be on their side of the boundary, as it's growing straight up at the height where it needs cutting.

Cheers for any guidance.
    Tags: None

You have the right to cut your trees, but whether you have the right to trespass on the neighbouring property to clear up, is another question.
    Also of course just dropping your cuttings on their ground might upset them, especially if there are cars parked there!

Comment

Thanks DES8, really appreciate you coming back to me.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X