• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sellability of a House with Estate Rentcharge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sellability of a House with Estate Rentcharge

How serious of a problem is a 40yr old freehold house in central London with an estate rentcharge?

Does a problem disappear entirely if I get the estate to remove the draconian remedies (enter house to seize property, lease or sell it), but keep paying the rentcharge?

My conveyancer has not inspired trust so far so looking for additional common-sense data points.
    Tags: None

In a seller's market definitely not a deal breaker with the caveat that it depends how much the rent charge is. Also as it's not a recent build where the rent charges are designed to be draconian or money makers for the developers, less of an issue.

If your conveyancer is not a solicitor I would dump them and find a decent solicitor who has experience in this area, both geographically and actually.

Some of the clauses in these documents are not necessarily enforceable because the statutory framework cannot be circumvented by contract. That's why if you are contemplating purchasing a property subject to a rent charge you need a decent solicitor to explain it to you.

There are things you can look up yourself but it's not an easy subject for a novice to wade through.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X