• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Access to Former Home

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Access to Former Home

    Lived with father as lodger, no tenancy agreement. Father died. Unable to return to property as key taken by someone who doesn't live there. I Am executor of deceased's will. Need to return to property to prepare it for sale. Advised that who has permission to live there is down to "new owner", but no grant of probate yet. How do I gain access without risk of being arrested? Have asked for return of keys, which has been denied. Have shown this person will. hope that makes sense. Thank you.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    If you can show you are the executor then tell the police that you are breaking in to maintain the property.

    Does this other person have any of the property gifted to them


    • #3
      From a police perspective, I see nothing in the OP's account that would cause me any concerns. However, based on some of my colleagues' knowledge of probate I suggest the OP be prepared to explain what an executor's role is if challenged.

      I also suggest that the OP considers getting a locksmith to change the locks and charge it to the estate as an administrative general maintenance cost.


      View our Terms and Conditions

      LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

      If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

      If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.