• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Damage the boundary hedge/fence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage the boundary hedge/fence

Hi all,

so basically the neighbor has cut through most of the fence in patches, he says it’s his wall. I live with my parents and it is their house , they have underlying health conditions and they do not want the stress of dealing with this issue, I have been trying to get the deeds from my mum but she doesn’t know where it is , the land registry website is down and we are in the mist of a virus pandemic. So a few days ago I was aggravated and me and the neighbor started shouting at each other, I was in the wrong as well as my neighbor so if I phoned the police I was afraid of getting in trouble my self. However today my dad decided to speak to the neighbor and he started shouting at him to move the bricks, *it was hard for me to watch and I had to try so hard to keep my cool. I feel stuck in the middle with my parents not helping me to take action and this neighbor getting away with stuff. Now where he has cut through the fence he has put a pallet there , and has been very clever by putting a lot of rubble there to press against the pallet to encroach on our land so the pallet it unmovable, what can I do ? I don’t have funds to get solicitors involved.
    Tags: None

Hi - Until you can find those deeds, its uncertain who owns the boundary. This kind of stress is the last thing any of you need right now. Until this crisis is over and you can get access to Land Registry you would all be wise to totally ignore him. Putting a pallet up wont change X years of the boundarys position. Until you know who legally owns the boundary- there is nothing to be done. Take care

Comment

Thank you leaf, he is doing more now and the garden will be open and bare, to anyone willing to just walk into out garden*

Comment

As Leaf* there is little to be done until you can get a copy of the property plans from and Registry.
        Don't forget though , that those plans are only indicative and not conclusive.

If your parents have lived in the house a long time, do they have any photographs that show the position of the fence (or is it a wall?).
        They may come in useful if matters get really litigious.

Who do you think is responsible for the fence?

There is nothing to stop him erecting a fence on his side of the boundary, or your parents doing likewise on their side.
        Do you think the neighbour is doing a land grab? if so how much?

Be aware of the stress and cost involved over disputes concerning fences and boundary positions.
        Matters can* quickly escalate to wwIII**

Comment

Hi des*
          ive found a planning application for next door which states in words that the extension will be at a certain distance from the shared boundary. Will that be enough to prove that it’s both our boundaries.

Comment

Comment

It won't "prove" the boundary, but does show where both parties accepted the boundary lay.
              To ascertain the exact line it is necessary to have the line determined*and registered at Land Registry*https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ned-boundaries

Even if neighbours are in agreement it is not a cheap option.

A* boundary isn't "owned" by any one as it is only a line (which has no breadth).
              Whether or not the fence (or wall) which is built either on the line or to one side is owned by either one or both parties is a matter to be decided
              It might be that the deeds will stipulate who is responsible for the fence, but even if it does it doesn't prevent the other neighbour erecting his own fence up to the boundary.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X